Foster an Elephant or Rhino Orphan

(foster now)

US$ 50 per year is the minimum fostering fee

The following is SIRIA's Orphan Profile.
If you would like to foster a different orphan please click here.

Quick Facts about  SIRIA

Gender  Male Date of Birth  Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Location Found  Masai Mara
Age on Arrival  Approximately 18 months
Comments on Place Found  His injured mother failed to respond to multiple veterinary treatments and eventually was euthanized and the calf rescued
Reason for being Orphaned  Sick Mother

Rescue of Siria

The morning of the 3rd April brought the rescue of an l8 month old male elephant calf from an area close to Governor’s Camp in the Masai Mara. He was named “Siria”, the name given to the nearby escarpment that provided the stunning location for the famous burial scene in Out of Africa. The calf was rescued when the decision was made by KWS and the Mara Conservancy to euthanize his poor mother who was suffering from advanced septicemia and had no chance whatsoever of recovery, whose slow decline had been observed over two months.

Siria with his mother

The suffering and agony of this unfortunate cow at the hands of humans was shockingly pitiful to behold. Not only had her trunk been severed by a wire snare, but her left front foreleg had become enormously infected from a spear wound. With her were her two calves, an older sub adult and the l8 month old still milk dependent baby who has now been named Siria. Baby elephants cannot survive without mothers milk under two years and a half years old, and the conditions have to be extremely favorable in order for them to survive without milk under 3 years old. The mother obviously knew that she was dying, for she encouraged her older calf to leave her and join the rest of the herd and took her little calf close to Governor’s Camp, relying on the proximity of humans to deter hyaena and lion attacks on her baby, who was also becoming progressively weaker due to his sick mother’s lack of milk due to her septicemia.

A close up of the spear wound injury.  A close up of  Siria's mothers severed trunk by a snare.

Our mobile Mara Veterinary Unit had treated the ailing cow twice in the past one and a half months, the first treatment taking place in February 2008 when she was first noticed limping, with a huge infected lower joint wound caused by the spear. She was immobilized and the wound was seen to have been deep, penetrating the carpal joint, but it was flushed and drained. Before being revived, the elephant was given long acting antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and vitamin injections, in the hope that she would make a recovery.

One month later in March 2008, her condition had not improved. The leg had become even more swollen and she was unable to move far from the Swamp. Moreover, she had lost a great deal of body condition. Again our Veterinary Unit was called by the authorities to administer a second treatment. She was darted, the wound flushed out with Hydrogen Peroxide and Iodine, and more antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs given. An incision was also made on the other side of the foot to allow for further drainage of pus and fluids from the wound.

Thereafter, she laboriously moved closer to the Lodge compound where she felt her baby would be safer, for by now he too was losing body condition, and becoming progressively weaker, for she was too ill to produce milk for him. There she could be closely monitored by Mr. Dave Richards, the very ele-friendly Manager of Little Governor’s Camp who kept our Vet Unit informed of the elephant’s deteriorating condition. By the beginning of April, she was so obviously in intense pain and unable to move. The other front leg had also become enormously enlarged, and pus was being exuded from the severed trunk. Clearly the elephant was now in an advanced state of septicemia so the Vet was called again to assess her condition and together with the Conservancy authorities make a decision as to whether or not she should be humanely euthanized, and the calf saved. This time, it was patently obvious that there was absolutely no chance whatsoever of recovery and the elephant’s suffering was such that the decision was made to end her misery and rescue the calf, who also faced death without access to milk. The calf was therefore physically captured, which proved easier than anticipated due to his weakened state by just throwing a blanket over his head and restraining him with a few men. He was then tied and transported to the Rescue Plane which had been sent by the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (with the approval of the Conservancy authorities and the Kenya Wildlife Service,) who understood that as a milk dependent baby of l8 months, it, too, had no chance of survival had it been left in situ, and would have either been torn asunder by hyenas, or left to die a lonely and lingering death from milk deprivation. The vet accompanied the calf on the plane along with the Trust’s Keepers, having administered a tranquilizer to keep Siria calm throughout the flight.

Mother anesthetized and calf.jpg  The calf is restrained for the journey to the airstrip.jpg

The calf is loaded into the landcruiser pickup.jpg  Loading the calf.jpg

At the rescue plane with The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust Keepers in bright green.

Upon arrival (evening of the 3rd April, 2008), little “Siria”, although weakened, dehydrated, riddled with stomach parasites and by now showing tell-tale signs of emaciation, still had enough reserves to give us all a run-around during his first night at the Nairobi Nursery. However, by the next morning he was hoovering up milk from a bucket, and eating as many greens as we could cut for him, but remained reluctant to drink from the bottle. After two more days in the Stockade with an Attendant Keeper, he was calm enough to handle, and on the 6th April could be let out with the other older Nursery Elephants, having first been de-wormed. Lenana, Makena and Chyulu were ecstatic, all showering him in love, each one wanting to “possess” him, holding him with their trunks, even rounding him up to return him to the mudbath when he tried to escape having been temporarily spooked by all the visitors, and generally affording him such a warm and loving elephant welcome, that immediately he relaxed and began to feel quite at home with his new elephant and human family. He seemed to crave their company and comfort having had some lonely months by his sick mother’s side and no interaction with other elephants. The older orphan elephants have also showed him how to drink his milk from a bottle instead of a bucket..

Siria is kept in the stockade for a couple of days until he tamed down and was happy to accept milk from the Keepers.jpg

Siria making friends with his Keepers.jpg  Siria, the day after he arrived, clearly a very sad little elephant.jpg

Maxwell and Siria soon become firm friends.jpg  Siria, a vulnerable little elephant who craves the company of others, both human, rhino is Maxwell and the other orphans.

He was called Siria, after the escarpment close to where he was orphaned.jpg

Siria was quick to grow close to his Keepers and the other bigger orphans were quick to 'pocess' him.  Siria with the three loving girls Lenana, Makena and Chyulu constantly giving him comfort and love.

Siria with the other orphans  Sirias poor condition can be seen by his sunken cheeks.jpg

Siria.jpg  Siria is given constant reassurance by the older orphans, her Makena gives him loving.jpg

US$ 50 per year is the minimum fostering fee

To select a different Orphan Please Click Here

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi KenyaThe David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust is a non-profit in Kenya, a registered charity in England and Wales (1103836) and is supported by The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust USA, a 501(c)(3) in the United States.

All text and images copyright © The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust 1999-2018. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy