Foster an Elephant or Rhino Orphan

(foster now)

US$ 50 per year is the minimum fostering fee

The following is MURKA's Orphan Profile.
If you would like to foster a different orphan please click here.

Quick Facts about  MURKA

Gender  Female Date of Birth  Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Location Found  On the border of Tsavo West and the Rombo area.
Age on Arrival  Approximately 20 months old
Comments on Place Found  She was found abandoned with a spear lodged in her head. It is suspected her mother was poached.
Reason for being Orphaned  Poaching

Whilst working in Amboseli National Park, the Trust’s Mobile Veterinary unit, funded by Vier Photen, headed by Dr. Jeremiah Poghorn, received a report of 2 abandoned elephant calves in Tsavo West National Park, one on Muhoho Ranch(rescued later and named Makireti) and the other near Rombo which had a spear deeply embedded in its forehead.

Deciding to deal with the injured Rombo calf first, the team arrived in the area at about 2 p.m. during the afternoon of 7th July, 2010 and were directed to the general location of the calf by a Ranger. The orphan was soon spotted, running from a nearby stream to hide in thick bush. A long spear, bent backwards, was protruding from its head lodged deep into the skull midway between the eyes. There were also other wounds on its body, one near the tail being very deep and fresh, exposing raw flesh and likely to have been caused by an axe.

The spear was lodged six inches into the calf's head.jpg  The spear head that was lodged in Murka's head.jpg

The spear and how deep it penetrated her head  The axe wound close up, before being cleaned.jpg

Several attempts to encircle and overpower the calf proved fruitless, for being nearer two years of age than one, it was very strong and, understandably, extremely aggressive, charging anyone on sight through the thick bush. Eventually, having had to scale a tree in order to escape being crushed, the Vet managed to dart the calf, loaded with immobilizing drug, and once she was down was able to assess the extent of the injuries. The spear had penetrated some 20 cms. through the skull and into the nasal passage sinuses at the top of the trunk. It was with great difficulty, using wire cutters and great deal of strength that Dr. Poghon managed to extract it, leaving a deep hole in the head through which air was being expelled. The wounds on the body were severe too, filled with magots, but mercifully appeared more superficial without having penetrated any vital body organ. Once all were clearned and anointed with antibiotic powder, a long acting antibiotic was injected intramuscularly, after which, with the help of the local community, the calf was loaded into the back of a vehicle, and driven to the Orphaned Elephant Stockades at Voi. Despite problems with the vehicle en route, she arrived safely, and was placed in a Stockade alone for the night pending being airlifted to the Nairobi Nursery the next morning.

Murka in the stockades at Voi the day after her rescue.jpg  Preparing to capture the calf for the flight to Nairobi.jpg

The calf is injected with Stressnil - before being prepared for the flight.jpg  Preparing the calf on the stretcher for the flight ahead

The calf is darted with stressnil and then laid onto the stretcher.  Carrying the calf from the stockades into the waiting pickup was hard work.jpg

She arrived at the Nursery during the morning of the 8th July, lying on the usual Rescue Tarpaulin with her legs bound, but once the legs had been released, she was on her feet and bent on killing anyone in sight, still with a lot of fight in her and bent on revenge for what humans had done to her. The “Taming Stockade” has a partition in the middle to enable the Keepers to hurriedly climb up and onto a platform to escape as the elephant runs round the partition in order to get at them! This particular newcomer gave them more than the usual run-around!

That night, the calf, who had been named Murka (after the nearby Murka Mines) collapsed and fell into a life threatening coma, which enabled us to insert an intravenous Dextrose drip into an ear vein and assess the extent of her injuries and deal with them firsthand. There was not one person present who was not horror struck and astonished that a human could be so brutal to an innocent baby that did not even have tusks! Breath was escaping through the wound in her head, and the body wounds raw and extensive. It beggared belief that humans could be so cruel and brutal to a baby elephant, especially an orphan whose mother they had probably also killed. The spear was typical of those carried by Masai tribesmen, who enjoy a reputation of being more tolerant to wildlife, but obviously the sadistic owner who inflicted such horrendous injuries on an innocent baby elephant does not fall into that category!

The calf is injected with Stressnil - before being prepared for the flight.jpg  Amos checks on the calf during the flight.jpg

The calf during the flight to Nairobi.jpg

We did not expect this calf to even come round, let alone live, and contemplated removing the drip to allow her to slip away peacefully to end her agony and suffering. However, much to everyone’s astonishment, she was up by 9 a.m. the next morning but still harbouring extreme hatred of humans. However, she was sufficiently weak for the Keepers to be able to restrain her and offer her milk and water from a bottle, which she drank hungrily, desperate for more. However, the fighting spirit was still with her, and the Keepers had to make a hurried escape. Since then, she will come to inspect anything white that one might be holding in the hope that it's milk, but has to be fed through the bars of the Stockade door, still far too aggressive to risk closer contact. She has to be fed water from a bottle as well, for she appears unable to draw water up into the trunk, because of the internal damage and the gaping hole at the top which prevents the suction effect.

The close up of the spear wound.jpg  The keepers look on with concern at the extent of her injuries.jpg

Murka has a strong will to live, and also a strong desire for revenge for what she has suffered at the hands of humans. In order to clean her wounds, she has to be sedated with Stressnil before anyone can attend to them, since physically overpowering her with sufficient manpower causes more stress which could prove counter-productive. The body wounds, although deep and horrendous, are superficial and will heal with time, but the head wound is more serious and we can only pray that it will not interfere with her breathing, or the use of her trunk, for life. After l0 days in the Stockade, we tried to allow her out with the other orphans, hoping that she might take her cue from them, but instead she was bent on escape. So, not without a great deal of difficulty, she was eventually overpowered and returned to the Taming Stockade.

Time is a great Healer, and already Murka is calming down and learning to love her Keepers, but it will take a very long time for this baby elephant to be able to have any trust in a human being again.

Having her wounds cleaned and dressed.jpg  Cleaning the wounds regularly.jpg

Daphne preparing what is required to clean Murka's wounds  Dame Daphne in the veterinary store at the Nairobi Nursery

Cleaning her wounds in the Nairobi nursery.jpg  Murka in Nairobi eight days later.jpg

Ten days later the axe wound on her back show signs of good healing with new tissue evident.jpg  Murka in her stockade feeding - Nairobi nursery.jpg

Leleruk stunned by what he sees  Daphne and Murka

US$ 50 per year is the minimum fostering fee

To select a different Orphan Please Click Here

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi KenyaThe David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust is a non-profit in Kenya, a registered charity in England and Wales (1103836) and is supported by The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust USA, a 501(c)(3) in the United States.

All text and images copyright © The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust 1999-2018. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy