Search By Keyword:

Print this Page - Sheldrick Wildlife TrustThe Orphan / Keyword you have Selected to view is KELELARI
(Print this Page)

Total Daily Entries found: 58
Entries below from Page #2 of 12 : From  6 - 10 
(To search the Summary for an overview of the nursery orphans from each month click here)




When the orphans settled out in the bush this morning to browse, most of the young ones were busy browsing alongside their keepers. Ukame, Maramoja, Galla, Ndotto, Ndiwa and Wanjala who had attached themselves to the main herd since their older friends left for Ithumba, now browsed in the company of Kauro who seemed to have taken over the position of Kelelari as an older bull. Once again and now under the leadership of Kauro and Ukame too, this group browsed further into the forest. Kauro seems to remember all the old routes through the forest and it has been up to the others to show him their new ones.

Today it was very cold during public visiting so none of the orphans wanted to mud bath and instead they settled to dust themselves with soil. Ndotto and Rapa enjoyed clambering on Lasayen as he rolled on the ground and everyone enjoyed watching these two climb all over him. The school children especially enjoyed this spectacle, as for many of them it was the first tim seeing an elephant, and they marveled at their long noses and how they used them.

Ukame feeling braver

Ndiwa accompanied the older herd too

Lasayen, Malima and Sana Sana

Lasayen going to roll on the ground

Ndotto has an itchy eye


Kauro has only been back one day but he is already fully settled into the daily routine of the Nursery, having been brought up there, his tremendous elephant memory is helping him recollect everything, like where and when all the milk feeds take place! Despite his skin not looking in good condition, he seems lively and active enough. Today during bottle feeding time he was witnessed disciplining Pare and Galla who tried to push him away from his milk bottles, as they usually do to each other and to the other boys like Ndotto, Lasayen and Rapa as they seek out who is the most dominant. They were unlucky as obviously Kauro is older and bigger and he quickly defended himself against the two boys who, since Kelelari left, were enjoying the highest rank.  

Kauro has settled into the old routine

Pare thought he could have Kauro's milk bottle!

Galla wanted some of the milk bottle too


We woke to a stressful morning after Karisa, Dupotto and Kelelari failed to turn up overnight and the search for them continues. Only Olare and her group arrived during the night and slept just outside the stockade compound. Soon after the orphans were let out, Olare’s group joined the juniors and escorted them to the browsing field. The orphans settled to browse on the eastern side of Ithumba. A little while later Olare’s group left them again. It was a dull day as everyone tuned their mind to locate the lost babies. The search was intensified in all directions but still there were no signs of the new babies. At mud bath time, Yatta, Mulika, Galena and Narok’s groups were in attendance. The only group that was not seen was Mutara and her friends. Meibai played with Narok as Wiva assigned herself the sole responsibility of taking care of Kama. After mud bath, the Ex Orphans headed towards the eastern side of Ithumba Hill while Kamok led the juniors to the Kanziku area where they settled to browse throughout the remaining part of the day. The search of the three new babies still yielded nothing and was called off at dark when the visibility became poor. 

Laragai in the lead

Shukuru flapping ears

Meibai engaging Orok


At around seven o'clock in the morning the orphans had settled to browse two hundred metres west of the stockade. All over sudden, panic set in amongst the elephants. Some scattered while others ran towards the keepers. The keepers started gathering the scattered ones and came to realize that Kelelari, Dupotto and Karisa were not amongst the other orphans. The keepers began immediately trying to trace their foot prints since no one had seen the direction the new babies had run in. The prints became very confusing when the keepers came across the foot prints of so many elephants. In the end the foot prints led them to Olare’s group in between Ithumba and the Kanziku fence line; the group had been missing for close to two months. They were also with Narok’s group. Narok and her group had parted with the juniors in the stockade compound the previous day, late in the evening. We started to believe that the three babies had run off with Mutara’s group who also ran away from the incident that startled them all and were not seen for the rest of the day.
Yatta and Mulika’s groups, who appeared to be coming to meet the new babies for the first time, arrived at mud bath early at around ten o'clock in the morning. The groups were in the company of Makireti’s group who had probably informed them of the new arrivals, since Makireti and her group had already met them. Yatta and Mulika’s groups consisted of Yatta, Yetu, Nasalot, Mulika, Mwende, Kinna, Kama, Ithumbah, Taita, Kenze, Chyulu, Sunyei, Zurura, Sidai, Meibai, Teleki, Ishanga, Wendi and Wiva. The Ex Orphans didn't stay for long at mud bath, probably after realizing that the new babies were not present. Only Yatta remained at mud bath to greet those juniors that were there. Only Boromoko decided to go mud bathing while Yatta communicated with Olsekki and Roi. Shortly later, Yatta left to rejoin her own herd. The search for the missing three went on until dark with no positive results and will resume in the early morning.

Shukuru and Enkikwe browsing

Sunyei and Taita

Wiva and Kama plays close to Kinna


Soon after drinking their morning milk, the orphans headed straight to the browsing field after refusing to feed on the lucerne which was provided for them. On the way Kelelari tried to challenge Oltaiyoni but quickly surrendered when Oltaiyoni turned to him with a serious face and threatened to teach him a lesson. The orphans were joined by the partially independent orphans Narok, Bongo, Bomani, Orwa, Laragai and Vuria. Vuria engaged Bongo in a friendly pushing game as Dupotto joined Kamok to browse on the shrubbery. Boromoko settled to feed with Sirimon as Laragai settled to feed with Kauro. At mud bath time, the orphans were joined by Ex Orphan Rapsu and a wild friend but they parted ways soon after mud bath. Only Kelelari and Karisa briefly splashed water behind their ears before following their friends to browse some more. In the afternoon the orphans settled to feed in Kone area where Oltaiyoni took a break from feeding to dust herself. The rest of the day was quiet. 

Kelelari and Karisa at the watering hole

Oltaiyoni dusting

Laragai sniffs at Rapsu




Page Navigation:      | Previous Page |      | Next Page |    

Search By Keyword:

View Keeper's Diary By Month

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy