Search By Keyword:

Print this Page - Sheldrick Wildlife TrustThe Orphan / Keyword you have Selected to view is OLSEKKI
(Print this Page)

Total Daily Entries found: 434
Entries below from Page #2 of 87 : From  6 - 10 
(To search the Summary for an overview of the nursery orphans from each month click here)




The orphans were joined for lucerne by Olareís group and two wild elephants in the morning. Half an hour later, the senior Ex Orphans under the leadership of Yatta reported to the stockade compound, bringing an end to the free wandering of the dependent orphans as the Ex Orphans took over the area. The orphans decided to give their seniors respect by leaving for browsing. The morning was quiet as the orphans concentrated only on browsing. Olsekki settled to browse with Oltaiyoni as Karisa opted to feed on his own.

It wasnít very cloudy when the orphans went to the mud bath so they all, except for Dupotto, decided to enjoy a mud bath. Two bulls reported for water and were briefly joined by Barsilinga and Olsekki. When they went to dust themselves dry on the loose soil, Olsekki made the mistake of lying face-down in the dust and he ended up getting stuck in that position. He struggled to get to his feet and he yelled for assistance. Kithaka, who had been left behind soil dusting with him, didn't bother to assist his adopted brother but instead walked away! Finally, Olsekki managed to rotate his body round to a suitable position in which he was able to get back to his feet again. In the evening, the senior Ex Orphans in the company of six wild elephants reported for water at the stockade water troughs. This is a clear indication that the area is drying up a lot.

Orphans feeding on lucerne

Olsekki and Oltaiyoni feeding

Olsekki rolling in style


Laragai and her group originally consisted of Garzi, Kithaka, Barsilinga, Lemoyian, but now Siangiki, Enkikwe, Olsekki, Sokotei, Sirimon and Boromoko have also become independent and have joined this group out in the wild as well. When the new arrivals came from Nairobi they were very badly behaved towards them and since they were off milk as well, the keepers saw this as a sign that they were ready to stay out at night. Most of the time they spend the night just outside the compound, or close by, and come back in the morning to share lucerne with those still dependent. They were relaxing outside the stockade this morning with Tomboi when the juniors were let out. Galla and Roi left with branches in their mouths, which they continued to enjoy on their way out to browse. Tusuja developed an itchy neck and decided to use a nearby tree to scratch it.

Later Pare settled to browse with Maramoja as Karisa teamed up with Namalok. Sapalan, who still totally refuses to take his milk, browsed a short distance away from his friends. At mud bath, Karisa led Wanjala and Dupotto in the first group while Ukame led the second group consisting of Galla and Oltaiyoni. Maramoja led the third group of Namalok and Kauro. Rapa led Pare and Kamok; the orphans have to come in groups as they all get two bottles and the keepers cannot feed them all at once! After having their milk, the orphans headed to drink some water from the trough and to enjoy a short wallowing session, before going to dust themselves dry as usual. In the process, Galla picked up a piece of stick that he used to scratch what appeared to be an itchy chest. When he was done, he dropped the stick and joined in the procession of those heading back out to browse. In the afternoon, the sun was still hot as Pare joined Maramoja to feed while constantly flapping his ears to keep cool. Roi had a private soil dusting session before heading to relax under a tree that had good shade. In the afternoon the sun was still hot and the orphans passed by the mud bath to wallow and cool down. Shortly before six in evening, the senior Ex Orphans in the company of five wild elephants reported for water and left later after having enough. They left with Laragai and her group since Laragai had opened the gate to let her friends out again. She is clearly very eager for she and her friends to soon join their friends in the wild.

Tomboi at the stockade compound

Maramoja browsing with Pare

Karisa, Wanjala and Dupotto

Kinna, Kama and two wild bulls

Sunyei, baby Siku and some wild bulls


Laragai, who had let her group out the previous evening, reported early in the morning at the stockade compound. She was accompanied by Kithaka, Lemoyian, Garzi, Barsilinga, Sokotei, Enkikwe, Siangiki and Olsekki. The group welcomed their friends for yet another day out in the bush. Shortly later, Kibo, Chemi Chemi, Kalama, Murka, Kandecha, Kitirua and Naisula showed up and joined the orphans. Led by Laragai, the group headed towards the Kalovoto area where they settled to browse. Sapalan settled to browse with Namalok while Wanjala settled to browse with Kauro. Pare, one of the racing team members, settled to feed with Siangiki. At mud bath time, the orphans were briefly joined by Ex Orphans Galana, baby Gawa, Zurura, Madiba and Chyulu. The orphans preferred to have a mud bath in a small water hole a distance away from the main one. Namalok enjoyed splashing water behind his ears as Madiba stood on guard. Ukame loved playing with baby Gawa and if it were not for the intervention by keepers, she might even have left with Galana and Gawa since the game was so enjoyable, and she didnít think to walk back to her friends. Sapalan teamed up with Chyulu and Madiba and just as we thought that Sapalan would be snatched by the duo, to our surprise Madiba and Chyulu escorted Sapalan back to join his younger friends.

In the afternoon, Kauro took a break from feeding to participate in a soil dusting exercise and on the way back to the stockade, the orphans passed by the mud bath to cool off again in the hot weather.

Kibo with a big pile of lucerne

Sapalan and Namelok

Pare and Siangiki

Madiba, Namelok and Zurura


Karisa left with a branch in his mouth early in the morning. As the rest of the herd were busy feeding on lucerne, Karisa first made sure that he was done with the branch before joining his friends. Naseku took a break from feeding on lucerne to have her own game of rolling on the ground. Shortly later, the orphans were joined by Mutaraís group.

Naseku settled to feed with Pare while Sapalan, who has weaned himself off milk, settled to feed with Kithaka. Boromoko and Galla had lengthy strength testing exercise that came to an abrupt end when Garzi intervened and pushed the two boys away. Boromoko moved to where Olsekki was feeding and attempted to ride on him. Olsekki wasn't happy about this and he turned to defend himself fiercely from Boromoko. The ever joyful and smiling Boromoko didn't take Olsekki seriously and enjoyed the pushing game for sometime before Boromoko quit and resumed browsing. At mud bath time, only the young ones participated in wallowing. In the afternoon, the sun was hot making the orphans converge under a tree, and they only resumed browsing when the temperature dropped. In the evening, the orphans passed by the mud bath where they were briefly joined by Yatta, Kinna, baby Kama and baby Yoyo. Yatta had a new look after breaking one of her crooked tusks in an undisclosed location. Galla and Tusuja finished up the day's activities by engaging in a pushing game.

Naseku and Pare

Boromoko trying to climb on Olsekki

Yatta and Kinna with their babies Yoyo and Kama


Laragai, Garzi, Kithaka, Barsilinga, Lemoyian, Siangiki, Enkikwe, Olsekki and Sokotei, who had spent the night outside after the cunning Laragai managed to open the gate for them, reported early in the morning at the stockade compound. The other orphans were let out and joined them outside. Maramoja followed by Rapa led the way straight to the browsing field as the rest of the herd followed behind them. Only Kauro was seen from time to time taking some time off from feeding to participate in a soil dusting exercise. The temperature was moderate and after the orphans had their noon milk bottle they jumped into the mud wallow and enjoyed cooling off by wading through the water from one edge to the other. Boromoko and Galla enjoyed climbing on their friends while still in the water. After wallowing, Barsilinga and Kithaka had a light strength testing exercise as Lemoyian watched, hoping to get an invitation by the winner. In the afternoon, the orphans settled to browse close to Imenti area where Pare and Maramoja took a break from feeding to relax under a tree until it was a bit cooler and they felt like browsing again. 

Orphans wallowing altogether

Kithaka playing with Barsilinga

Sunyei and baby Siku

Maramoja and Pare in the shade




Page Navigation:      | Previous Page |      | Next Page |    

Search By Keyword:

View Keeper's Diary By Month

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2017, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy