Search By Keyword:

Print this Page - Sheldrick Wildlife TrustThe Orphan / Keyword you have Selected to view is TELEKI
(Print this Page)

Total Daily Entries found: 635
Entries below from Page #2 of 128 : From  6 - 10 
(To search the Summary for an overview of the nursery orphans from each month click here)




Dupotto that had been rescued the previous day woke up fine. She had been put with Kamok to spend the night together and she had calmed down a lot from her rescue. The orphans walked down to the water trough where they joined three wild bulls that were taking water. Lemoyian and Sokotei engaged each other briefly in a strength testing exercise as Naseku and Tusuja settled for a scratching game. After the orphans had enough water, Ukame led the way to the browsing field. Some distance away from the stockade, Wanjala changed his mind and decided to go back for more water. Wanjala walked with so much confidence that the wild bulls at the water trough decided to take a step back! Wanjala enjoyed his water without disturbance then returned back to join his friends.

Out in the bush Sirimon played with Olsekki while the playful Lemoyian climbed on Naseku. Galla settled to browse with Ukame while Oltaiyoni teamed up with Siangiki. At mud bath time, the orphans were joined by Ex Orphans Yatta, Galana, baby Gawa, Tumaren, Rapsu, Nasalot, Teleki, Ololoo, Taita, Bongo and eight wild bulls. Naseku splashed water with her trunk, rolled in all directions and when she was done, started trumpeting as she exited the mud bath. Her friends also got excited and started trumpeting as they followed her. Enkikwe tried to play with Tumaren but she was too strong for him and he therefore decided to surrender and follow his friends. The orphans settled to browse in the Imenti area and in the evening, passed by the mud bath for an evening cool off.

Dupotto relaxing in her stockade with Benj

Wanjala with the wild bulls

Yatta and Nasalot

Rapsu, Ololoo and Taita


Wanjala, who is slowly learning new ways to deal with his seniors, picked his share of lucerne and quickly took the branches away whilst keeping an eye on the others to make sure no one was following him to steal his treats. Lemoyian, who loves strength testing games, approached Sirimon as Siangiki walked towards Wanjala to beg for some lucerne. By the time she reached where Wanjala was standing, Wanjala had put all the lucerne quickly in his mouth, leaving nothing for Siangiki.

Out in the Park Lemoyian and Boromoko spent some time in a soil dusting game as Ukame enjoyed scratching against a nearby tree. At mud bath time, eighty elephants arrived and bathed and drank water with the orphans. During this playtime Olsekki engaged Kibo in a pushing game, which he sadly lost, whilst Garzi tackled Chemi Chemi and the rest of the orphans dusted themselves in the soil. In the afternoon, the orphans settled to browse along the Kalovoto seasonal river. In the evening twenty five wild elephants checked in at the stockade water troughs for water, including Half Trunk and Ex Orphans Orok, Zurura, Olare, Kalama, Nasalot, Ishanga and Teleki.

Siangiki and Wanjala head for browsing

Half Trunk pays a visit

Teleki, Nasalot and Ishanga


Mutara, Olare and Narokís groups spent their night just outside the stockade. Once the orphans were let out, the junior Ex Orphans received them warmly and escorted them to the area where they always have their lucerne. Kamok and Laragai took their share, carrying it in their trunks, and moved some distance away where they enjoyed feeding on it without any disturbance. Later, Olareís herd led the group to Kone area where they settled to browse. Wanjala browsed close to Narok and from time to time they could be seen chatting to each other by putting their trunks in each otherís mouth. Laragai teamed up with Kithaka while Ukame and Galla settled to feed with Melia. At mud bath time, the orphans were joined by Wendi, Wiva, a wild boy, Kenze, Taita, Ithumbah, Rapsu, Meibai, Lualeni, Mulika, Mwende, Lenana, Chyulu, Madiba, Naserian, Teleki, Orok and ten wild elephants. The orphans went to the right hand side to wallow while the Ex Orphans and the wild elephants wallowed to the left hand side of the pool. The orphans feared being pushed by the wild bulls and it was also another way of giving respect to their seniors.

After mud bath, Shukuru,Ukame and Sirimon settled for soil dusting while Naseku and Olsekki picked sticks from the ground and used them to scratch in between their front legs. Enkikwe tried to stand in front of Madiba, probably to challenge him, but with the way Madiba looked at him Enkikwe did not stand there for very long for fear of being knocked down! Later, Enkikwe moved to challenge Olsekki, a game that ended in a draw. In the afternoon, the junior Ex Orphans parted ways with the dependent orphans. In the evening, Olareís group reported at the stockade in the company of a wild female with her two calves, and left shortly after taking enough water.

Kamok with her share of lucerne

Naseku running for milk

Olsekki using a stick to scratch with


All the Ex Orphans were at the stockade compound waiting to be fed lucerne when the juniors were let out. There was a lot of pushing around when the lucerne was being distributed. The juniors couldn't endure the pushing and so decided to walk out to the bush and start browsing, leaving the Ex Orphans at the stockade compound. In the browsing field, the orphans were joined by Bongo, Teleki, Orwa, Ololoo, Bomani, Narok and Vuria. Garzi played with Ololoo which did not last long and he lost. Wanjala settled to browse close to Olsekki as Siangiki settled to browse with Enkikwe.

At mud bath time, the weather was chilly and the orphans were joined by Olareís group and fifteen wild elephants. It appears that now most of the water holes are drying slowly and wild elephants are coming back to this area. Following the chilly weather none of the orphans dared to step into the water hole. Sokotei and Lemoyian kept themselves busy by having a strength testing exercise, a game that attracted Boromoko who came to join them but assisted Sokotei in driving Lemoyian away. Shukuru challenged Barsilinga to a pushing game but Barsilinga turned away due to the respect he has for Shukuru. Garzi tackled Kalama in a pushing game that ended in a draw, with Barsilinga being the referee. When the game came to an end, Barsilinga coaxed Kalama into have a pushing game with him as the rest of the orphans joined a wild bull to drink water. In the afternoon the orphans settled to browse in Kanziku area. In the evening Barsilinga and Kithaka engaged each other in a pushing game that ended in a draw.

Baby Gawa playing

Baby Wiva nursing

Olsekki and Wanjala


Soon after leaving the stockade, the orphans were joined by Yatta, Nasalot, Yetu, Teleki, Orwa, Bomani, Vuria and Narok. The Ex Orphans shared lucerne with the orphans and left shortly later. The dependent orphans, led by Shukuru, headed to Kone area where they settled to browse. It was a clear-sky day with a hot sun but the orphans went on with their browsing activities undeterred. Wanjala settled to feed with Roi while Ukame and Galla teamed up with Shukuru. Enkikwe and Sirimon had a brief strength testing exercise that ended soon when Garzi intervened by pushing both of them away. At mud bath time, the orphans were joined by Tomboi, Buchuma and six wild bulls. Soon after mud bath, Lemoyian spent some time playing with Boromoko while Shukuru, Naseku and Wanjala settled for soil dusting. In the afternoon, the orphans settled to browse at the western side of the Ithumba Hill. In the evening the temperature was still high and the orphans passed by mud bath againto cool off on their way back to the stockade.  

Shukuru dusting

Afternoon wallow

Wild elephants arrive at the stockade for water




Page Navigation:      | Previous Page |      | Next Page |    

Search By Keyword:

View Keeper's Diary By Month

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2017, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy