Search By Keyword:

Print this Page - Sheldrick Wildlife TrustThe Orphan / Keyword you have Selected to view is TUNDANI
(Print this Page)

Total Daily Entries found: 308
Entries below from Page #2 of 62 : From  6 - 10 
(To search the Summary for an overview of the nursery orphans from each month click here)




Today began in the same was as every other with the orphan elephants concentrating on the milk and supplement feeding in the morning. Naipoki, Kihari and Mashariki stood in a queue for a wonderful scratching session against a rock out-crop in the stockade compound, before joining the others who were leaving for the browsing grounds.

The orphan elephants browsed in single file for more than two hours. Tundani and Embu later separated themselves from the main herd for a private browsing session on the western side of the stockade. The two linked up with their friends on the way to the water hole at midday.
The weather warm and the orphans enjoying swimming in the main water hole after the noon milk feed. The rest of the days browsing activities took place on the northern base of Msinga Hill with Rorogoi and Arruba enjoying leading the group back to the safety of the stockades for the night.

Kenia dusting

Mashariki at mud bath

Ndii leaving the mudbath area


There were some heavy clouds as the orphans exited their stockades forecasting a cold day ahead. The juniors downed their morning milk bottle then played games around the stockade compound before heading out to the Park.

The stockade dependant orphan elephants browsed on the eastern side of Msinga Hill under Mbirikani and Rorogoi’s leadership. They browsed in single file before slowing making their way to the baobab waterhole where they had a quick wallow as it was too cold to have a prolonged mud bath. Mudanda pushed Embu away from a tree trunk that she was scratching against so that she could enjoy a scratching session instead. Tundani was mistakenly left behind by the group when they returned to the browsing fields and had to run to catch up with them.

Oltukai, the orphan buffalo, who has been receiving treatment on his leg injury, seems to have some swelling on the bad leg and was put on a three day course of antibiotic injections by the vet.

Kihari early morning browsing

Nguvu following Kihari

Ndii finds a tree to scratch against


The morning began as usual with the stockade dependant orphan elephants emptying a delicious morning milk bottle in a rush, then assembling for some supplement feeding. They had some brief socializing and chasing games around the stockade compound before heading to the browsing grounds under the leadership of Kihari.

Upon arriving at the northern side of the stockade, Layoni and Kivuko, who were browsing half way up Msinga Hill, attempted to come down to join the juniors, who had unfortunately already moved further afield by the time they came down.

The orphans had a peaceful session on the far northern side of Msinga Hill, browsing their way to the western side, before coming down in groups of five for their afternoon milk bottle at the baobab water hole. It was cold and cloudy with the orphan elephants having a partial mud bath before enjoying soil dusting games on the red earth piles. Tundani had fun chasing two warthogs away from the waterhole, keeping them away until the orphans left at which point the warthogs were able to enjoy a drink of water in peace and quiet.

Tundani chasing warthogs

Arruba Kenia Araba and Ishaq-B

Mudanda scratching against a tree


The morning was cloudy and cold as the stockade dependant orphan elephants came out of the stockades and downed a morning milk bottle. Ndoria became very naughty, ambushing Suswa, who was busy feeding on some lucerne grass pellets, giving her a very tough push which caught Suswa unaware and had her shout for help. Ndoria ran away from the crime scene, pretending she was very innocent and unaware of what had happened to Suswa. The keeper’s intervened and comforted Suswa so that she felt comfortable enough to rejoin the group.

The orphans visited the baobab waterhole in the afternoon, with Bada and Tundani becoming the most amazing bathers of the day as they managed to evict the rest of the orphan elephant herd from the water hole, by running in and out and kicking the water with both their front and rear feet, sending mud into the eyes of the rest of the group. Araba who was watching their games also moved away and joined the rest of the group who were browsing around the waterhole.  

Embu finds a quiet browsing spot

Kihari sneaks away with Tahri

Araba browsing with Kenia


The morning Panda was very happy as Ndii allowed her to spend some time with little Tahri while the orphans were enjoying their supplements. The stockade dependant orphan elephants finished their milk and supplements before proceeding for the browsing fields. Tundani and Embu were in the lead today, traversing several browsing routes, regardless of where the rest of their group was.

Bada, who does not seem to want to accept that he is junior to Tundani, engaged him in a strength testing game. Tundani stood firm and was not perturbed by the youngster’s efforts. Their game came to a quick end when the rest of the orphans started making their way to the waterhole. As it was quite a cold day the orphans drank their milk and some water and all but Ndoria, who attempted to have a quick wallow, avoided the mud bath.

Lentili dusting up

Arruba and Panda dusting

Panda sliding on the walls




Page Navigation:      | Previous Page |      | Next Page |    

Search By Keyword:

View Keeper's Diary By Month

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2017, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy