Please select a date of interest to see the Keeper's Diary entry for that day

<<    August 2017   >>
Sun. Mon. Tues. Wed. Thurs. Fri. Sat.
     1  2  3  4  5
 6  7  8  9  10  11  12
 13  14  15  16  17  18  19
 20  21  22  23  24  25  26
 27  28  29  30  31    
Click Here to Select Another Month 

Search By Keyword:


<<--  Entry for:  August   12, 2017  -->>

Unit Name Date
Entry Print this Page - Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
Ithumba Unit  August   12, 2017 When the orphans left their stockades they were joined by Olare’s group who emerged from south eastern side of the stockade. Boromoko and Tusuja had a disagreement after Boromoko attempted to climb on Tusuja without his consent. The disagreement ended in a pushing game that saw Galla intervene by assisting Tusuja to drive Boromoko away. Shortly later, Shukuru rumbled to inform her friends that it was time to get moving. Shukuru then led the way to the browsing field as the rest of her team followed behind her.

Lemoyian and Sokotei engaged each other into a pushing game that ended when Garzi intervened by separating the two boys. Enkikwe played with Olsekki as Kithaka soil dusted. Shortly later, a buffalo passed by which created tension amongst the orphans. All the orphans raised their trunks up and turned to face the buffalo. Shukuru, as the group leader, gathered courage and charged whilst trumpeting towards the buffalo. The buffalo ran away as the rest of the team applauded Shukuru for chasing it away. The rest of the morning was quiet as Dupotto stuck to her friend Kamok. On the way to the mud bath, the orphans were joined by Narok who escorted them. After wallowing, Dupotto rolled on the ground. Fifteen wild elephants attended the mud bath. Kithaka was courageous enough to join the wild elephants to drink water. Olsekki tried but panicked and left to wait until the bulls had enough water. Lemoyian had a pushing game with Boromoko that ended soon when Boromoko surrendered. In the afternoon, Oltaiyoni and Ukame took a break from feeding to relax under a tree until the temperature dropped. In the evening, the orphans passed by the mud bath again and had an evening cool-off before returning back to the stockade.

Shukuru leading

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy