The following is information on the Elephant Orphan named: SIDAI  (foster now)

Name Gender Date Born Location Found Age on Arrival Comments Reason for being Orphaned
 SIDAI  Female  Saturday, June 19, 2004 Ol Pejita Conservancy  20 months  Found abandoned by a water trough, clearly she had been without her family for some time  Drought Related 

Latest Updates on SIDAI:

View to Location map for SIDAI (opens a new window)

Most Recent Keeper's Diary Entry: (view all the latest entries for SIDAI)

11/11/2018 - Narok and Rapsu in the company of several wild bulls were at stockade water troughs competing with buffaloes over who among them would drink first. The buffaloes lost the battle and surrendered. They waited until the elephants had had enough before they came to drink. In the wild, the elephants usually win in the hierarchical order! The orphans were let out and as soon as Karisa saw the buffaloes, he got excited and started trumpeting, charging and running in circles as he tried to scare the buffaloes away. The buffaloes didn't mind however, and continued to drink water. At last, Karisa got tired and left after failing to make the buffaloes move away.

Later the orphans were joined briefly by Nasalot, baby Nusu, Sidai, Loijuk and Makena. At mud bath time, the orphans boycotted the wallowing exercise and opted to go back to the browsing field soon after drinking their milk and water. The temperature skyrocketed in the afternoon making the orphans relax under some trees as usual. Naseku and Wanjala decided to keep themselves busy by dusting themselves as they waited for it to get cooler.

The Two Latest Photos of SIDAI: (view gallery of pictures for SIDAI)

 Sidai, moment after she is carried to the stockade and the straps removed from her legs The young calf is captured
Sidai, moment after she is carried to the stockade and the straps removed from her legs
photo taken on 2/6/2006
The young calf is captured
photo taken on 2/1/2006


The Ol Pejeta Conservancy, situated near the town of Nanyuki at the foothills of Mount Kenya is 90,000 acres in extent, was purchased in 2004 by Fauna and Flora International, a UK based conservation organization. The managment contract was given to the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy run by Ian Craig. Batian Craig, the son of Ian, is the overall supervisor of the management of the Ol Pejeta Conservancy, within which is The Sweetwaters chimpanzee sanctuary. Ol Pejeta is also the birth place of another of our orphans now living wild called "Sweet Sally".

The young calf is captured  The Keepers try to get some rehydration down her

The calf is loaded onto the back of the pickup  

During the late afternoon of 1st February 2006, the Ol Pejeta workers noticed a lone calf at one of the Ranch water troughs, and alerted Batian Craig, who monitored the calf and her movements to ensure she was infact an orphan. Having ascertained this he got in touch with us in Nairobi. Since it was too late to organise an air rescue that day, Batian undertook to try and locate the calf the following morning, and this he did. The calf was still alone, and quite obviously an orphan, possibly a victim of “Problem Animal Control” since not all boundaries of the Conservancy are barrier fenced, and beyond there is cultivation and human croplands, where passing elephants trying to meet up with friends further afield, find themselves in trouble, or possibly a victim of the drought that has gripped Northern Kenya.

Sidai is loaded onto the vehicle  

Sidai about to be loaded into the aircraft  The orphaned elephant and rescue aircraft

Batian Craig phoned us in Nairobi, and the elephant rescue was immediately co-ordinated. Robert Carr-Hartley left in a chartered Caravan aircraft with two Keepers and all the usual rescue paraphernalia, including a KWS Vet, in case it was necessary to sedate the calf, since we had been told that it was about 2 years old. Upon landing at the Ol Pejeta airfield, the Rescuers were driven by Batian Craig to the location of the calf, which was still hiding in thick “Euclia” bush. Armed with a blanket, Robert decided to avoid darting the calf to tranquilize it, since it was obviously weakened and therefore fragile. The rescuers fanned out, and cautiously approached the calf, and as it began to run, the Keepers managed to throw the blanket over its head and eyes, which enabled everyone else to wrestle it to the ground and bind its legs. Recumbent, the captured calf was then carried to the waiting vehicle on the rescue tarpaulin, and transported to the Rescue Plane, where it was loaded and began the air journey back to Nairobi.

Batian Craig checks on Sidai just before take off  Well wishers on the airstip at Ol Pejita conservancy

The pilot ensures the calf is straped in securely

Keeper and calf  Felix in the plane with Sidii strapped in the back

The baby was a female of just under two years old, since one could feel tiny tusks just breaking through the lip membrane. Batian Craig suggested that she be named Sidai, the Masai word for “beautiful thing”, and beautiful she is, with a lovely face, soft brown eyes shaded by long lashes, and a very gentle and loving temperament, attributes that we would witness in the 48 hours that followed.

All this, however, was not immediately obvious upon arrival in the Nairobi Nursery, where she was given the usual prophylactic antibiotic injection before being unbound in the “Taming Stockade” recently occupied by orphan “Sian”. Understandably, the newcomer was extremely traumatized and very wild, refusing to take milk or rehydration, and simply bent on trying to “nail” her attendants at every opportunity. Desperately the two Keepers who spent the night with her tried to coax her into accepting milk – the lifesaver she so desperately needed, but by the next morning, even our Veteran Keeper, Mishak, had not been successful. The other orphans were then brought in and this calmed her visibly. Within another 2 hours, she was beginning to take milk from the bottle, but refused the vital electrolytes. Although the milk intake was a hopeful sign, shortly afterwards the dreaded trembling and shaking began, which is always a prelude to collapse and death. We despaired, but very fortunately we had some bottles of Dextrose intravenous drip left over from another such casualty, and Robert was able to put this into an ear vein pending the arrival of the Vet. This, plus handfuls of glucose stuffed directly into the mouth, clearly kept the elephant alive, but only just, until the Vet arrived with more bottles of intravenous dextrose drip and administered injections of selenium, magnesium and Vitamin E as well as Vitamin B 12 to stimulate her appetite. Clearly the calf had extremely low blood sugar levels, brought about by milk deprivation and the trauma and stress of capture, and that this had resulted in “muscular dystrophy”, a life threatening condition. Being a muscle, the heart begins to fail, and very soon the patient is gone. On this occasion, however, we were rewarded when with help, the elephant was able to get back onto her legs, and shortly afterwards began to take milk from the bottle, all signs of aggression having vanished. We were euphoric, and really thought that we had won the battle for her life, but another trembling attack seized her the next morning, and yet again Robert most fortunately was at hand to put the intravenous drip back into an ear vein. This time, Sedai remained standing, and as the blood sugar levels were again restored, so the trembling ceased.

Stephen and Felix ride in the back of the landcruiser with the rescued elephant calf  The elephant is driven from the Wilson airport to the Nairobi nusery

Sidai, carried into the stockade and a broad spectrum antibiotic administered

However, it was the electrolytes that she needed most at this point in time, and when she began to take them, hope was restored. She was also now calm and loving, pressing her head against the body of the Keepers, and greeting all visitors with touching trust, illustrating yet again, the very forgiving nature of elephants.

By the afternoon of the 5th, she was sufficiently strong to be allowed out with the others, and by the morning of the 6th, she left with them all at dawn. We remained cautiously optimistic that her life had been spared and that this beautiful little elephant would grow up to become a caring Matriarch, and one of what we call our “miracles” to have been snatched from the jaws of death, thanks to Robert and Sanjay, our Veterinarian. She was an extremely gentle calf and remains so as an adult today, wandering with Yatta's ex-orphan herd near the Ithumba stockades where she was successfully reintroduced to the wild.

While the new orphan remains wild and frightened the Keepers need to keep well out of the way

Sidai, moment after she is carried to the stockade and the straps removed from her legs  Sidai's first day out with the others


Please see the resources above for more information on SIDAI

| View the Orphan History List Foster SIDAI | Print this Profile |

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy