The following is information on the Elephant Orphan named: BONGO  (foster now)

Name Gender Date Born Location Found Age on Arrival Comments Reason for being Orphaned
 BONGO  Male  Friday, February 19, 2010 Kimunye community lands in Kirinyaga county  3 and a half years old  Seen on its own for about a month in the community lands on the slopes of Mount Kenya before rescue  Human / Wildlife Conflict 

Latest Updates on BONGO:

View to Location map for BONGO (opens a new window)

Most Recent Keeper's Diary Entry: (view all the latest entries for BONGO)

10/29/2018 - Karisa led the way out soon when the gates were opened. The orphans joined ex-orphans Kenze, Orwa, Bomani and Narok who had reported early before dawn. Wanjala and Ukame settled to feed on one pile of lucerne pellets with Kenze. Kenze didn't entertain the two orphans but told them to look for another pile since that one wasn't big enough for the three of them. Wanjala persisted, which forced Kenze to push him away. Shortly later, the ex-orphans and the orphans together walked out to the bush. The inquisitive Wanjala settled to feed with Kenze as he tried to understand how life is out in the wild. Kenze was not that keen on entertaining Wanjala, as shortly later he walked away.

At mud bath time, the orphans participated in wallowing soon after having their milk. The competition was between Ukame and Esampu as each tried to get to the finish-line first; that being where the Keepers are standing with their milk bottles. When Ukame saw that Esampu was about to win, she tried to block her by pushing her from behind. Esampu didn't fight as she knew she would be fighting a losing battle, and so she surrendered and followed behind Ukame slowly. The lone and independent Sapalan joined a wild bull to drink water and later followed his group. Sapalan looked a bit tired and in the evening on the way back to the stockade he was unusually slow. Yatta and the entire ex-orphan group reported for water in the evening. Missing were Bongo and Teleki who have attached themselves to Nasalot’s group for the time being.

The Two Latest Photos of BONGO: (view gallery of pictures for BONGO)

 Bongo sucking a keepers fingers Bongo
Bongo sucking a keepers fingers
photo taken on 9/23/2013
photo taken on 9/23/2013


At 10.30pm on the 17th of September our DSWT/KWS Meru Mobile Veterinary Unit arrived followed by a Kenya Wildlife Service vehicle, KWS rangers with a rescued elephant. The elephant has huge, approximately between 3 – 5 years old and bigger He had been sighted regularly for nearly a month on community lands in Kimunye in Kirinyaga County – The community had reported sightings of the lone elephant, clearly without a herd, and deep in community lands on the slopes of Mount
Kenya. A number of rescue attempts had been made by KWS over the weeks, but the elephant would disappear deep into the forest and in those conditions proved impossible to catch.

Things became desperate when the community threatened to kill the elephant if KWS did not remove it from the area and their cultivated lands, and so the KWS/David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust funded Meru Veterinary Unit's Dr. Bernard Rono, a seconded KWS Veterinary Officer, was called to the scene.

After a lengthy wait they managed to finally locate the elephant, anesthetized him, and then loaded him onto the back of the KWS landcruiser. He was revived although remaining strapped and recumbent in the vehicle before the long journey to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust Nursery. This was a journey that took them close on four hours and was undertaken at night.

It had been an extremely challenging rescue, particularly given the location and the size of the elephant. The unexpected nighttime arrival of yet another elephant at the Nursery, had everybody scratching their heads as the elephant had by now been revived, so off loading him was challenging to say the least.

The orphan arrives at the Nursery late at night  The orphan in the back of the vehicle

Moving the calf out of the vehicle  Carrying the orphan into the stockade

The calf is placed in the stockade

Between the Keepers, the KWS Rangers, and Robert Carr-Hartley, a plan was made. While the rescued elephant lay recumbent in the back of the vehicle he was injected with antibiotics and also a tranquilizer to take the edge off his aggression. With team work and enormous effort he was offloaded from the landcruiser and onto the canvas stretcher placed on the ground just behind the vehicle. He was then lifted again by as many as 15 men and carried into the stockade. His restraining straps were removed and everybody fled for their lives scrambling out of the stockade before he could get to his feet. Between the anesthetic, the journey and the tranquilizer he was slow to get to his feet, and required assistance. Three of the Trust’s elephant Keepers were brave enough to climb back into the stockade and give him a helping hand. He got to his feet and immediately started to feed on the greens placed in his stockade, and took water from the bucket placed strategically next to his stockade door. For the rest of the night we let the Nursery orphans perform their magic, communicating with him and calming him down, and did not stress him further with a constant human presence.

The orphan in the stockade  The Meru Vet unit and KWS rangers that rescued Bongo

Bongo  The calf has been named Bongo

The following day was challenging with this large elephant, much larger than we are use to rescuing – with tusks about five inches long, although one had been broken. He was rescued not because he was unable to survive without milk, but because he would have been slaughtered had he remained there – Dr. Rono felt that his chances at a new life and family were best placed through the Nursery and the Rehabilitation Program in Tsavo rather that being transported directly to the Aberdares and released there in a new environment and with support of family and friends.

The next day, with the tranquilizer drug now worn off, he was extremely aggressive, but remained feeding well, getting through incredible amounts of vegetation that constantly had to be replenished. We gave him the name Bongo – synonymous with Mount Kenya, as well as being a very African name. As the days past Bongo learnt about milk, although old enough not to need milk, he certainly had an appetite for it. He began taking the milk from a bucket very early on, but very soon understood the milk bottle and quickly tamed down enough to take his milk from a Keeper from the bottle. His stay in the stockades has been a lengthy one, given his size we need to tame him down sufficiently so that he can be safely transported to one of our two Relocation Units in Tsavo.

Bongo sucking a keepers fingers  Preparing to charge

Bongo in the stockade  Bongo throwing Lucerne on his back

Bongo a few days after his rescue


Please see the resources above for more information on BONGO

| View the Orphan History List Foster BONGO | Print this Profile |

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy