The following is information on the Elephant Orphan named: AJALI  (foster now)

Name Gender Date Born Location Found Age on Arrival Comments Reason for being Orphaned
 AJALI  Male  Wednesday, November 3, 2010 Tsavo Bridge, Tsavo National Park  6 years  Hit by a vehicle crossing the Mombasa Road at Tsavo Bridge near an Elephant Crossing  Man Made Cause for Separation 

Latest Updates on AJALI:

View to Location map for AJALI (opens a new window)

Most Recent Keeper's Diary Entry: (view all the latest entries for AJALI)

5/12/2018 - It was another wonderful beginning to the day with the stockade dependent orphan elephants concentrating on their milk and supplement feeding. Dabassa visited the stockade and approached Tahri to greet her but was prevented from doing so by Kihari and Mashariki who guarded Tahri to ensure she would not follow Dabassa.

The orphans spent the morning browsing on the northern side of the stockades while the keepers focused on looking for the Ajali and Mbirikani who had gone off with a wild herd yesterday. Although the two were not seen they are old enough to go wild.

Dabassa who had followed the junior orphan elephants left the orphans and made his way to the Mzima springs-Mombasa pipe line where Layoni was suspecting to be browsing.

The Two Latest Photos of AJALI: (view gallery of pictures for AJALI)

 Ajali being greeted by the stockade dependent orphans Ajali following Mudanda
Ajali being greeted by the stockade dependent orphans
photo taken on 1/22/2017
Ajali following Mudanda
photo taken on 1/22/2017


The elephant we named Ajali was first sighted on the 2nd of November after he had been hit by a car on the Mombasa Highway, most likely during the night as his herd crossed the road to the other side of the National Park. The incident occurred near Tsavo Bridge which is also incidentally an elephant corridor in the new Standard Gauge Railway, and in what must have been a dramatic crossing in which he was hit, he unfortunately lost his herd.

Ajali receiving treatment after being knocked by a vehicle  Ajali knocked by a vehicle

We first became aware of his plight when one of the Trustís Mechanics was driving to our Voi base along the highway and noticed this elephant in distress. He immediately alerted Dr. Poghon who heads the DSWT/KWS Tsavo Mobile Veterinary Unit, who had already received reports and was on his way. Once the team arrived on the scene they estimated his age to be anywhere between six to seven years of age, and he was extremely immobile with fluid dripping from his trunk and mouth. The decision was made to anesthetize him for a closer examination and then load him onto the Trustís Canter truck to transport him to the stockades in Voi for close observation and supplementary feeding. However, implementing a plan like this took some doing, as lifting and loading a six year old elephant is no easy task. It was soon ascertained that he certainly had some broken ribs and there was the possibility of sinister internal injuries too. The team cleverly enlisted the help of the workers based at Chinese Depo for the SGR Railway and man power loaded the recumbent calf onto the back of the canter for the drive the 60 Kms to the Voi stockades, with Dr. Poghon and some of the DSWT elephant Keepers keeping a close eye on his condition throughout the journey. Only once he was safely laid down in a stockade at our Voi Rehabilitation Unit did Dr Poghon reverse the anaesthetic.

Ajali arriving in his stockade still under  Reviving Ajali in his stockade

Browsing in his stockade after treatment

His prognosis for recovery due to the breadth of his injuries and further unknown complications internally was guarded at the time. He got to his feet but despite being surrounded by lush, freshly cut greens from the Voi River, lucerne grass and dairy cubes, he did not want to feed. Later however, once the dependent orphans returned home with their keepers for the night, he settled as they surrounded his stockade making their reassuring rumbling sounds and communicating with him all the while. After this he visibly perked up and started to feed, and by morning had flattened the food that was placed in his stockade.

Browsing in his stockade

This was a most encouraging sign and gave us all renewed hope. Even the next day he fed well, and all the while new and varied browse was placed in his stockade, along with water and soft earth and mud for him to enjoy. But then the following day he was standing still, head hung, fluid still coming from his mouth, with a complete lack of appetite. He was given more anti-inflammatory drugs via pole syringe and again perked up once the pain was lessened. That thankfully was the last day he showed these signs, since then he has fed well, calmed down enormously and is healing well. We were confident that with tender loving care we would be able to save Ajali.

Ajali feasting on grewia  Ajali relaxing and feasting

In January 2017 Ajali was finally well enough to come out of his Taming Stockade and join the orphans out in the bush for their daily routine. He instantly took a shine to Mudanda who he likes to browse with, and he is doing extremely well. Who knows with the mysterious ways of elephants, he may well find his family again on his daily jaunts with the orphans out in the wild, or join up with some of our own orphan bulls to form his own bachelor herd; nevertheless thankfully this is one lucky calf given a second chance at life.

Ajali being greeted by the stockade dependent orphans  Ajali following Mudanda

Ajali browsing  Ajali browsing nicely with the others


Please see the resources above for more information on AJALI

| View the Orphan History List Foster AJALI | Print this Profile |

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy