The following is information on the Elephant Orphan named: MORANI  (foster now)

Name Gender Date Born Location Found Age on Arrival Comments Reason for being Orphaned
 MORANI  Male  November 2001 Lewa Downs  18 months  His mother died and he was shot three times just outside of Lewa Downs  Poaching 

Latest Updates on MORANI:

View to Location map for MORANI (opens a new window)

Most Recent Keeper's Diary Entry: (view all the latest entries for MORANI)

2/1/2017 - It was a beautiful beginning to the day as the stockade dependent orphans came out of their respective stockades and downed their morning milk bottle before settling to feed on dairy cubes and Lucerne grass after which they followed Mbirikani and Mashariki to the browsing grounds. Mbirikani and Mashariki led the others up the eastern side of Msinga Hill where they enjoyed feeding on the lush green grass.

Ajali, who is a heavy feeder, was slow to follow the group as he was busy stuffing grass into his mouth. Arruba decided to stay with Ajali and the two browsed together as they slowly followed the rest of the group up Msinga Hill.

Siria was seen leading Emily’s herd that also had a big wild elephant bull that was following Mweya. All the other wild bulls that are usually in Emily’s group were missing as was Laikipia, Lolokwe and Morani. The Ex Orphan group browsed towards their way towards the Mzima spring-Mombasa water pipe line area.

The Two Latest Photos of MORANI: (view gallery of pictures for MORANI)

 Morani and Mpala plaing in the bush Morani in the middle
Morani and Mpala plaing in the bush
photo taken on 5/20/2005
Morani in the middle
photo taken on 4/1/2004


The 8th April 2003, and another phone call early in the morning, this time from Lewa Downs in Northern Kenya with news that there was another orphan of about 18 months old, which had come onto the Ranch through the gap in their ring fence with a wild herd, but obviously did not belong. They had been keeping an eye on it for the past four days, and although it was sometimes with the other elephants, it kept leaving the herd to wander alone.

The orphaned baby elephant frightened and agressive before being darted  Vet crouches with dart gun

Rescue arrangements were hurriedly scrambled. This time the services of a Vet would definitely be needed to sedate such a large calf for an air rescue, as would a larger than usual aircraft and as usual, faithful Mike Seton responded positively and promptly, as did K.W.S. with a Vet. On board the rescue plane along with the Dr. Lekolooc, the Vet, was our Administrative Assistant, Emma Ayton, and two of our most capable Elephant Keepers, plus all the rescue paraphernalia - the Rescue tarpaulin with rope handles all round so that some 10 men could lift a recumbent elephant that size, plus rehydrants and milk for a dehydrated and hungry baby.

The orphan was about 15 minutes drive from the Airstrip at Lewa Downs, about l km. from a wild group of fifteen. The rescue party parked about 50 metres from him, and then the Vet, one Keeper, Emma and the Lewa Operations Manager approached the calf on foot, managing to get within 15 metres using a bush as cover, before the elephant realized that dreaded humans were closing in on him. He charged, and the Vet was able to dart him, following which, he ran into hiding in another bush.

The elephant calf is placed onto the cavas stretcher  The vet takes advantage and cleans out the bullet wounds

Soon the elephant was down and the Rescue Team were able to approach. It now became apparent that he had multiple gunshot wounds, two just below the spine, which had obviously gone right through, and another in the foreleg. Blood was also oozing from one nostril, so he was very obviously not in good shape. His wounds were cleaned as much as possible whilest he slept, and a long acting antibiotic injection administered, before he was loaded, first into the waiting vehicle and then onto the plane.

During the flight, he showed signs of coming round, so had to be given more sedation. The Vet very wisely kept him barely under, because anything more could have plunged him into eternal sleep. He arrived at our Nursery just after 2 p.m., and having been laid in one of the Rhino Stockades, (a Nursery Stable being too small), he was given the antidote and began to wake up.

The orphan is transported to the Cessna Caravan waiting on the airstrip  The calf is loaded into the back of the plane

It was distressing to watch him coming round, because he kept falling over, crashing against the walls, and staggering around as though drunk. But as he recovered more fully, and found himself amongst what he dreaded most, having obviously been a witness to the slaughter of his mother, and himself having been wounded by gunfire, he was bent on killing everyone in sight. Time and again he thundered against the metal doors, until one of the posts gave way, and he was out, and running for his life into the Nairobi Park forest!

There he found himself with other elephants - the orphans - the tiny newborn newcomer "Selengai", 3 month old "Tomboi", 4 month old "Wendi", Mpala of his size, and the mini Matriarch, "Seraa". They and their Keepers encircled him, desperately trying to comfort him, and since the mini herd he had found were obviously comfortable with their human attendants, he took a cue from them, and visibly calmed down. By this time the Vet had been recalled, and after a small dose of sedation, with everyone pushing, he was able to be guided back into his quarters, and everyone heaved a sigh of relief! Whilst strill groggy from the drug, we were able to syringe out the many holes in his mutilated body, using the magic homeopathic Calendular that succeeded in healing an enormous hole in the back of our little Ndara down in Voi. But, as he recovered, so his fear and anger returned, and time and again he hurled himself against the gate, bent on escape.

Once in Nairobi,the calf is transported to the Nairobi nursery still sedated  We name him Moran, which means Warrior in Maasai

During the night, he slept for just two hours, and the two Keepers with him, not at all! The next morning the other elephants came to greet him through the bars of the door, and again he became much calmer, even taking the hand of the Keeper into his mouth, and sucking it hungrily. Unbelievably he grew calmer and calmer as the day progressed, began to feed himself milk by wrapping his truck around his bottle and tipping it upright gulping down his milk, and has already grown attached to his Keepers. Interestingly when the KWS guard with his rifle slung over his shoulder arrived at the stockade to have a look at the latest arrival Morani went mad. It is obvious he recognised the threat a man with a gun posed, reliving the horrors of the past days.

Quiet talking, gentle encouragement, friendly touching on the forehead every time he charged the door, and water offered from a bucket, all helped worked the miracle, and just 14 hours after capture, this latest orphan began to take some milk from a bottle. However, he still has a long road to recovery. Blood still oozes from one nostril, the bullet wounds are infected, he is thin and dehydrated, and could still have bullets imbedded in his body. He has been through hell; the hell of losing that which is most important in a baby's life - his mother and elephant family, and having been traumatized and wounded himself, probably as he tried to defend the body of his fallen mother

Since he comes from Samburu tribal land, and because he truly is such a little "Warrior", he has been named "Morani".    

Please see the resources above for more information on MORANI

| View the Orphan History List Foster MORANI | Print this Profile |

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2017, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy