The following is information on the Elephant Orphan named: MARALAL 

Name Gender Date Born Location Found Age on Arrival Comments Reason for being Orphaned
 MARALAL  Female  Thursday, February 2, 2012 near Kirisia Forest, Northern Kenya  About 2 months  She was found by the community members having fallen down a man-made well  Well Victim 

Latest Updates on MARALAL:

View to Location map for MARALAL (opens a new window)

Most Recent Keeper's Diary Entry: (view all the latest entries for MARALAL)

2/18/2016 - The little cheeky boy Rapa together with Simotua sneaked away from the keepers coming down to the mud bath ground just before public visiting. Simotua usually comes down on the second group but together with naughty Rapa now they decided to come in ahead of time. Luckily they were spotted from a distance before they reached the mud bath area. A keeper went out to stop them and take them back to the herd. The cheeky boy Rapa did not obey the keeper though nor be blocked by him. He pushed the keeper out of the way and ran towards the milk but Simotua obeyed ran back to the bush to rejoin the others. This just shows how sometimes the naughty ones can influence even the good ones into bad behaviour. After getting to the feeding area Rapa took his milk and after he had finished it he relaxed for a bit and waited for the others. After waiting for some time and not seeing anyone else come he decided to walk back to the bush. By the time he got to the herd Murit, Godoma, Ndotto and Ngilai were leaving for their milk. He didn’t bother to accompany them but waited for the second group. Dupotto, Tusuja, Naseku and Mbegu were in the second group and who he decided to accompany and when they reached the milk feeding area he started fighting for more milk pretending he hadn’t already had any! He went on pushing one keeper after another trying to get another elephant’s milk bottle. The big mistake he made was trying to go for Mbegu’s milk – after she had finished her milk she gave the boy a thorough disciplining.

Today we had to perform two rescue missions. The first report was from Maralal that a baby had be found fallen down a well and the Nairobi rescue team left at 12.30 in the afternoon for the rescue mission. After an hour we received another call from the Voi stockades that they had rescued a baby from a drainage ditch along the new railway line which is under construction. This called for another recsue team to be mobilized who left the nursery immediately for Wilson airport to fly to Voi. The first rescue team arrived back at the orphanage with a young baby boy at around 3pm. The calf was in very good condition, not too long separated from his mother (found down a well but with no sign of the herd around anymore). By 6.30pm the other team arrived with a newborn calf, in a collapsed state weakened by his traumatic and tiring ordeal being stuck in the drain. He was put on IV drips to help revive him.

The Two Latest Photos of MARALAL: (view gallery of pictures for MARALAL)

 Maralal Maralal with Kihari
photo taken on 4/13/2012
Maralal with Kihari
photo taken on 4/13/2012


The KWS team from Baawa Platoon stationed near the Kirisia Hills at Malalal received a report from the local community on Easter Sunday 8th April 2012 that a baby elephant had been left by its mother having fallen into a cattle well near the Kirisia forest above Maralal town. The Elephant Mother and the herd had gone to drink at this Cattle Well, and had obviously struggled hard to rescue the stricken calf but more than likely left hurriedly, panicking when herders brought their cattle to drink at the well. The Rescue, coordinated by Rauni Munene, Warden of Maralal Station, was led by Sgt. Lekishe and Larimado three Rangers who managed to extract the calf from the well. They then surrounded the baby and slowly walked the calf back to their camp with any evidence of her herd and elephants in the area long gone. By this stage it was becoming late in the day and it was clear there would not be the time for an aircraft to leave Nairobi and reach there before nightfall, so her KWS rescuers resigned themselves to the fact that they would be in for an extremely restless night.

The tiny calf was clearly distressed bellowing for her lost family and did not sleep a wink, neither did her rescuers. The Rescue plane left early on the 9th (Easter Monday) and the calf, a 2 month old female, was safely back at the Nursery by noon.

The Keepers leave for the rescue  Scenes from the rescue plane

The Keepers meet the men who helped rescue the orphan  The orphan is led closer to the plane in order to load the baby

The Maralal community gather to see the orphan  The Keepers get ready to load the orphan in the plane

The orphan with some of the men who helped save her life  The people responsible for co-ordinating the rescue as saving the orphan's life

The Keepers put the baby on the travel mattress for the flight to the orphanage  Everyone helps load the orphan in the plane

Off loading the orphan in Nairobi Wilson Airport  The calf is loaded in the DSWT Vehicle to be taken to the Nursery Unit

Stephen gives the orphan milk and re-hydration  The young orphan is tired upon arrival at the Nursery

She was named Maralal after the area she was found. She by this stage was clearly exhausted, and having fed on both milk and rehydration fluids she collapsed and slept soundly in the safety of her stable with a Keeper close at hand for comfort. Once she gathered strength she got to meet the other nursery orphans, and this served to both comfort and unsettle her. All she wanted was a ear to suck and was content to latch onto which ever of the older orphans was obliging – which was all of them – the fussing over this little calf left Kithaka alittle jealous having had their undiluted attention for some time.

Maralal having a nap while being guarded by the orphans  Maralal with all the big Nursery girls

The first night was unsettled with Maralal bellowing much of the night, and Sities and Naipoki bellowing back. In a stable close to Kihari she eventually settled. This continued for a couple of nights but now she understands the routine and the memory of her lost family seems to have dimmed.

Maralal sleeping while Naipoki watches over her  Maralal with Kihari

Maralal  Maralal walking with the herd


Please see the resources above for more information on MARALAL

| View the Orphan History List Print this Profile |

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

All Photographs in this website are Copyright by The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and can not be used without permission.
Copyright © 1999-2015, Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy