If you would like to see a list of the updates available please click here.

 The rescue of Kalama - 7/9/2009
View a Printable Version of this Update

At 6 a.m. early during the morning of 30th May 2009, in the Kalama area, near Archer’s Post in Samburu district, 4 Samburu tribesmen (namely Iritek Likilwai, Malaria Lemramba, James Lemoyok and Temeriwas Lesankurikuri) visited what is known as “The White Well” (Ikwasi Oibor) , and discovered that a baby elephant had fallen in during the night and was standing chest-high in water at the bottom.   They managed to extract the calf, which was a baby female aged about 4 - 5 months.   The Kalama Conservancy Chairman, Mr. Daniel Lolosoli was notified and he came with 4 Kalama Game Scouts to recce the area, hoping to find the mother of the baby, but there was no sign of any adult elephants nearby.   He and the Kalama Scouts (Samson Lenamunyi, the Community Ranger Sani Lenapangae, Marianlo Lenawala and Mpapa Lelesera) loaded the little elephant into the back of their Pickup truck driven by Steven Maina and drove it to the nearby airfield, to await the arrival of the Rescue Plane sent by The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust.

The sight that awaited the team on the Kalama airstrip  The sight that awaited the team on the Kalama airstrip

The airstrip  Kalama in the back of the pickup landcruiser

We named her Kalama  The calf on the back of the rescue vehicle

The baby is lifted from the rescue vehicle  We called her Kalama the name of the area she was found

The calf is prepared for flight under the shade of the aircraft wing  The baby is laid onto the matress and her legs tied in preperation for the flight.

The keepers giving the orphan milk at the rescue sight

The calf is lifted onto the plane  Preparing the calf for the flight

The baby elephant was fed milk and rehydrant by the Trust’s Keepers before being airlifted to Nairobi lying with its legs bound on the rescue tarpaulin in the back of the Caravan aircraft.   She arrived in the Nursery at 4 p.m. and was named “Kalama”.   She was in good condition, and very calm, following the Keepers, so she was taken into the bush to join the other small Nursery babies for the rest of the afternoon.   However, she was very restless and psychologically disturbed during the night, attempting to climb the stable partition, and calling continuously for her elephant mother.   By dawn the next day, she was much calmer and more resigned to the circumstances in which she now found herself.   Being a well victim, she need to undergo a long course of injectible antibiotic to forestall the dreaded pneumonia, but unlike many of the others who arrived severely emaciated, this calf had some reserves so we are hopeful that she will thrive.

Abdul takes down note about Kalama's rescue story from the men involved  Abdul writing down the rescue details

Lifting Kalama  Kalama is strapped into the aircraft before takeoff

All those involved in saving Kalama  Arriving at Wilson Airport

Transported from the airstrip to the nursery  Kalama is untied once in her stable at the nursery

Kalama in her stable  Kalama at the nursery the first day at the nursery

Kalama and Abdul  Kalama being comforted by Abdul at the Nursery



If you would like to see a list of the updates available please click here.

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy