Nyati Team Tiva Update: 01 October 2006

Nyati Team Tiva Update: 01 October 2006


Felix Micheni Feisal Muteti Peter Ndungu Samuel Lolchuraki Julius Mumo Boru Okicha 2 KWS Rangers- Brandson Kiboi and Paul Onyango

Areas Covered

During the month of October the Gazi team patrolled the following areas: the general area around Sheldricks blind, the area surrounding Tsavo Safari Camp, opposite Kilalinda, Upstream of Kilalinda, opposite Moody Awori’s farm, Kona ya Nyati, Gazi hills and the Mukua Nima general area.



The month started with the team preparing itself for a visit from the US Charity Trustees who were due to arrive. On the 4th of October we left our camp at the Athi River and headed to Ithumba.

The guests arrived and inspected a parade that was mounted by the Gazi and Ithumba de-snaring teams, before proceeding to inspect the new elephant stockades, the Keepers quarters, the KWS Ithumba dog section and the items recovered by the de-snaring teams including snares, bows and arrows, bicycles, and animal skins, as well as other items.
Judging from the response we received from the US friends about the Trust and its conservation efforts the visit was successful.

Before starting our patrols, the Gazi team members helped to track down a seriously injured bull elephant near Kampi ya Faru. The wounds were septic with lots of pus and we suspected that the bull had been shot with poisoned arrows.

The one tusked tusker was treated by a KWS vet but unfortunately was too weak to stand up again.
After long agonizing hours spent trying to help him to his feet the decision was made to euthanase the bull ending his long fight for survival in the wild.

A few days later we embarked on a detailed de-snaring programme. We began our patrols at the Sheldricks blind area where we discovered old snares. There was strong evidence of elephant poachers who were operating from the top of the rocks targeting elephants as they came to drink from the spring water below. In the area near Tsavo Safari camp we came across a dozen snares which generated a lot of heat especially from the camp employees. There was also litter all over the nearby bushes which was a sign of neglect and poor management by the camp. We felt that the camp which relies on wildlife base tourism ought to take conservation of both the environment and wildlife more seriously.

Opposite Kilalinda camp, which is a snaring hotspot, nothing was seen or recovered. Further upstream we came across a few old snares, though some of them were active and able to kill any unfortunate animal that got snared in it.

We came across three sets of well concealed footprints during our patrols opposite Moody Awori’s farm. The footprints led us toward the Yatta plateau where we lifted 158 snares, 14 of which targeted large game.

One of the big snares had strangled a relatively young bush buck.
Unfortunately we arrived too late to save it. The following day we lifted another 48 snares from the same area.

We carried out an intensive patrol in the surrounding areas including the laggas that originate from the slopes of the Yatta plateau. In one such lagga, which has water even during the dry season, we came across a blood stained arrow shaft. It was evident enough that an animal had probably been shot with it; however we did not come across an animal carcass or any evidence of an animal being slaughtered.

At Kona ya Nyati we noticed that there was a decrease in human activities in the area, especially poaching, which is endemic in the area. Only two sets of footprints were discovered along the river, but their destination was unclear.

With the increase in our patrols there has also been a decline in charcoal burning which was common in the area.

We then moved our operations to Mukua Nima which is well known hotspot for poachers, charcoal burners, illegal loggers and livestock herders. Due to the constant pressure from the team and the rangers attached to us, these illegal activities have decreased. We discovered very few poachers’ footprints and arrested four offenders,

two livestock herders and two illegal fishermen.
The second fisherman threw his fishing rod away before we apprehended him and was thus charged with trespassing.

The team has observed that there is a gradual decrease in the frequency of footprints as well as the fact that snaring has decreased. It is also evident that the few poachers still operating in the areas have become very discreet going to lengths to conceal both their snares and their footprints.

Before we could complete our operations, the two rangers attached to us were withdrawn to provide support to rangers battling armed bandits in the park. This in conjunction with the unpredictability of the river forced us to move our operations to the “triangle area”. We patrolled the Mtito River to the Ngiluni crossing and lifted a total of 38 snares including one for medium sized plains game. We then linked up with the Mtito team and patrolled the area between Komboyo gate and Kenani railway station. We also patrolled water points in the Triangle including Kampi ya Faru.

As the team breaks off for its annual leave, we all pray that poaching will not worsen as most of the poachers will probably return to till their farms for planting as the rainy season has begun which will also raise the level of the Athi River making it more difficult to cross.

Report by Felix Micheni