The following is information on the Elephant Orphan named: TUNDANI  (foster now)

Name Gender Date Born Location Found Age on Arrival Comments Reason for being Orphaned
 TUNDANI  Male  Friday, February 24, 2012 Northern Tsavo East/Tundani  Approximately 1 year  Found alone wandering along the Tiva River  Reason Unknown 

Latest Updates on TUNDANI:

View to Location map for TUNDANI (opens a new window)

Most Recent Keeper's Diary Entry: (view all the latest entries for TUNDANI)

10/28/2018 - The morning milk feed took place bright and early after which the stockade dependant orphan elephants enjoyed their supplements before they busied themselves playing around the stockade compound. Nelion engaged Tundani in a wonderful head on play fight while Bada together with Mudanda, Mashariki and Rorogoi fed on acacia branches along the fence line together. Bada later became impatient taking the lead of his friends towards the browsing field.

Ishaq-B who in the recent past has been trying to take Mbeguís herd managed today to separate them from the Keniaís herd, staying with them for the whole of the mornings browsing session. Ishaq-B later led them towards the baobab tree water hole where they joined the rest of the orphan elephants for their milk feed and mudbath.

Tawi the father to Karibu who had paid a courtesy visit to greet her three weeks ago, today once again left the stockade to go wild.

The Two Latest Photos of TUNDANI: (view gallery of pictures for TUNDANI)

 Tundani at the daily visiting hour Tundani and Naipoki
Tundani at the daily visiting hour
photo taken on 4/19/2013
Tundani and Naipoki
photo taken on 4/13/2013


On the 8th of April 2013 Nick Trent, the DSWTís pilot operating in the Tsavo Conservation Area, made an urgent call to the Kaluku HQ reporting that he had discovered a lone baby elephant calf within the Ithumba area in the northern sector of Tsavo East. The calf, who was estimated to be under a year old, was alone along the Tiva river and Nick reported that sadly there were no other elephants visible within the area having scanned the greater landscape thoroughly.

Tundani hides in a bush  trying to catch Tundani

After several radio calls a team of elephant keepers from the Ithumba rehabilitation stockades and one of the DSWTís anti-poaching units was deployed, having to hurry to the site where calf was last sighted, which was some distance from the stockades.

Meanwhile at the Nairobi HQ, the team was prepared for a rescue and a rescue plane was put on standby at Wilson Airport, waiting for the go-ahead from the field team in Tsavo. With GPS coordinates and guidance from Nick, who was still monitoring the elephant calf from the air, the ground team finally made it to the location, but the calf was now 2kms from the road so the rangers and keepers approached the calf stealthily through the bush.

Tundani tries to escape across the river  Tundani is taken to the vehicle

Despite being clearly scared, the young male calf remained remarkably composed as the keepers got closer and very quickly and efficiently captured him using a blanket and capture ropes to secure him and prevent him from trying to get away and hurting himself. The rescue was surprisingly easy, yet the hardest part was yet to come as the vehicle needed to transport the calf was quite some distance away across muddy ground caused by the heavy rains of the last few days, making manoeuvring the vehicle through the slippery terrain no easy feat.

Tundani gets captured  the orphan is then prepared for the flight to Nairobi

After some time and after getting stuck several times in the thick mud, the vehicle managed to finally pick up the calf and get back to the road in order to get the calf to the Ithumba airstrip as quickly as possible where the rescue plane was already waiting along with some of the Nairobi keepers to look after the baby elephant on the journey back.

Tundani's rescue plane  securing the orphan in the plane

By 5pm in the evening the rescue plane and the calf and keepers had taken off from Ithumba. The orphan on the flight continued to remain calm and friendly to the keepers, perhaps knowing that they had come to help him and that he was in safe hands, as when he finally arrived at the Nairobi Nursery as darkness was falling he showed no sign of aggression and accepted the keepers trustingly.

Tundani follows his keeper  tundani at the stockades

This new orphaned boy has been named Tundani after the area in which he was found and he has since continued to accept his new human family, meeting his new elephant friends only two days after his arrival having shown a wonderful willingness to embrace his new home. Despite becoming extremely bloated after his second night in Nairobi and having been giving the correct medication, Tundani is feeding well and enjoying his time in Nairobi National Parkís forests.

Tundani meets Isaq-B at the Nairobi Nursery  Balguda and Tundani

Tundani and Naipoki  Tundani at the daily visiting hour


Please see the resources above for more information on TUNDANI

| View the Orphan History List Foster TUNDANI | Print this Profile |

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy