Please select a date of interest to see the Keeper's Diary entry for that day

<<    October 2018   >>
Sun. Mon. Tues. Wed. Thurs. Fri. Sat.
   1  2  3  4  5  6
 7  8  9  10  11  12  13
 14  15  16  17  18  19  20
 21  22  23  24  25  26  27
 28  29  30  31      
Click Here to Select Another Month 

Search By Keyword:


<<--  Entry for:  October   24, 2018  -->>

Unit Name Date
Entry Print this Page - Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
Nursery Unit  October   24, 2018 The three big girls Sagala, Malkia and Ndiwa are really showing signs of being quite independent babies. Soon after their 11am milk bottle and spending time at the mud bath, the three girls in the company of Emoli, Maisha, Enkesha and Jotto moved off deep into the forest. The Keepers and other orphans including Tagwa did not notice, but as this small little group made their way out, they scared a herd of impala who were grazing nearby. Their running and jumping in the air notified the Keepers that those elephants were walking off in a different direction. The Keepers did a head count and realized who was missing, so some of them started to walk off in the direction they had seen the impalas jumping, to keep an eye on those elephant orphans. Some monkeys were spotted playing in the trees ahead, when one slipped and fell, landing on the floor with a cry which gave Ndiwa and her group a fright. They came running out of the bushes running and trumpeting towards the Keepers to seek their help and safety.


Voi Unit  October   24, 2018 The gates of the stockade were flung open early in the morning, with the orphan elephants bursting out grabbing their bottles and downing the milk in them. After supplement feeding there were games with Ndotto climbing up a flat rock in the stockade. Murit saw him and went to engage him in a play fight, forcing Ndotto to come down the rock to join Murit in a playful sparring match. The two were nearly left behind by their friends who left for the fields and they had to run to catch up as the group made their way to the browsing grounds.

Godoma and Mbegu again remained in the stockade so that Godoma could receive treatment for her limp which we suspect to be due to an injured hind leg.

The orphans had a wonderful morning browsing before visiting the baobab tree water hole to drink milk and water. None of them entered the mud bath as it was a chilly day. The afternoon browsing session took place half way up the eastern side of Msinga Hill where Mashariki sat on the loose soil on the hillside sliding down the hill on her bottom. Tundani ambushed Naipoki, ramming her with his forehead, with Naipoki staggering away for a few steps, before she regained her footing, spinning around and facing Tundani for a real fight. Kenia and Ndii intervened to stop the two from fighting as it was time to begin the trip back to the safety of the stockades for the night.

Naipoki tackling Tundani

Ithumba Unit  October   24, 2018 Mutara, Sities, Kanjoro, Kainuk, Chaimu, Kasigau, Suguta and Kilaguni spent the night outside the stockades and early in the morning, joined the orphans for lucerne pellets. After resting for the whole night, the junior ex-orphans looked better in the morning. After feeding on lucerne pellets with the dependent orphans, Mutara’s group opted to walk in the bush in morning. Sities settled to browse with Esampu as she browsed quietly and looked relieved to be with the dependent orphans and the Keepers; they must have gone for some days without finding good water.

At eleven o'clock in the morning, the weather was still chilly and the orphans in the company of Mutara’s group drank some water then walked back out to the bush. Namalok had a stand-off with Enkikwe after Namalok thought that simply because Enkikwe has an injury, he could bully him. Enkikwe did not tolerate this and being senior to Namalok, decided to show Namalok that he had an experience in handling his juniors. Namalok quit the stand-off after realizing that he was fighting a losing battle. Namalok then moved to play with Wanjala and Galla. In the afternoon, the orphans settled to browse in the lower Kalovoto area until late in the evening, when Maramoja led the first group back to the stockades.

Chaimu with the orphans

Kibwezi Forest/Umani Springs Unit  October   24, 2018 It was very interesting morning as all the orphans were in a very playful mood. Shukuru and Lima Lima had a small pushing game as Lima Lima was trying to deny her entry to her pellets corner. When Shukuru went to her normal special place to start eating her pellets, Lima Lima was there and was trying to grab some before going to join her friends outside. The Keepers spotted her and shouted at her, and Lima Lima felt embarrassed and just walked away.

Murera led some babies to the scratching wall and Sonje just sat on her bottom and scratched and posed in very funny positions which made the Keepers laugh. Soon Mwashoti walked up to her as he wanted to go to Murera and walk out to the forest to browse.

At the midday bottle feeding time the weather was very cloudy and made it impossible to play in the mud bath. The orphans just had some water then went to the dust bath where Sonje again became a posing star. Mwashoti and Alamaya chose to take a nap round where Sonje was lying, so they would be protected from the older bully boys.

Mwashoti running

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy