Keepers' Diaries, September 1999

Voi Reintegration Unit

The Boys were with Malaika and stories of Ndume and Edo

01 September 1999

The Boys were with Malaika when they were joined by a wild group at 7.30 a.m. eventually leaving them to go to mudbath.

02 September 1999

On the 2nd, from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. they had a marvellous time meeting numerous wild herds coming to the campsite for water. The Boys escorted the orphans home in the evening.

03 September 1999

On the 3rd only Edo was in attendance. The orphans enjoyed being with 3 wild elephants who had a tiny week old baby whom they met on the East side of the hill and who accompanied them to the wallow, leaving them only at 2.15 p.m.

04 September 1999

On the 4th, Edo and Ndume joined Malaika's group soon after leaving the Stockade in the morning. A wild group joined them on heir way to the mudbath and during the afternoon they had several contacts with wild elephants.

05 September 1999

On the 5th the Orphans were with a wild herd from 3 p.m. until 5 p.m., returning with the Boys.

06 September 1999

On the 6th Ndume and Edo were with Malaika but Dika went off up the hill on his own. At 10 a.m. Malaika was joined by a wild cow who had a very young baby of approx. 3 weeks old and who was accompanied by two "Nannies" Aitong size. They were together until mudbath. Ndume and Edo came back with Malaika.

07 September 1999

On the 7th Dika, Ndume and Edo were with Malaika and the babies at mudbath and were joined at 3 p.m. by 3 females and 2 calves the size of Lewa and Uaso. Lewa and Uaso had a lovely time playing with them. Malaika was escorted back home by The Boys.

08 September 1999

On the 8th again the 3 Boys were with Malaika's group and were again joined by a wild group at the mudbath with whom they spent the aftgernoon.

11 September 1999

On the 11th Malaika was joined by Edo and Ndume at 10 a.m. and after mudbath by a wild herd. Dika turned up at the Stockade in the evening.

12 September 1999

On the 12th Malaika was joined by the 3 Boys at mudbath and spent the rest of the day with them.

13 September 1999

On the 13th our orphans met a wild herd at their mudbath, one calf the size of Imenti with whom Imenti played for 3 hours.

14 September 1999

On the 14th, but for meeting Ndume and Edo at the mudbath, the day was uneventful.

15 September 1999

On the 15th at l.40 p.m. they met up with Edo who was with a group of wild elephants.

16 September 1999

On the 16th Malaika joined a wild herd on the East side of the hill and spent 4 hours with them, joining up with Edo and Ndume at the mudbath. On the 17th, likewise Ndume and Edo arrived at the mudbath along with some wild elephants and that evening the 2 boys escorted Malaika back.

18 September 1999

On the 18th Edo and Ndume, coming from the West side of the hill, met Malaika on the East side and were with her group, escorting them back to the Stockades in the evening.

19 September 1999

On the 19th Malaika joined Ndume, Dika and Edo at the back of the hill. They were all joined by 10 wild elephants and 3 calves at mudbath. Lewa had a wonderful time playing with the wild babies before the herd left, along with Dika, heading for the river.

20 September 1999

On the 20th Malaika was joined by 2 wild elephants at 10 a.m. who accompanied her to the mudbath. Afterwards the wild elephants went up the hill and Malaika headed towards the river.

21 September 1999

On the 21st Malaika met Edo and Ndume up the hill and spent the day with them.

22 September 1999

On the 22st Malaika joined a wild herd at 7.30 a.m. and was with them until 10 a.m. At 11.30 a.m. Malaika met another wild group who came to the mudbath with the orphans where they were joined by Ndume. At 3 p.m. down at the river the orphans were joined by another wild group amongst whom was a bull the size of Dika, who remained behind with Malaika when the herd left. Back at the Stockades, Edo was waiting.

23 September 1999

On the 23rd our Orphans joined a wild herd behind the hill. A little later Edo turned up and remained with Malaika when the wild herd left, spending the rest of the day with her group.

24 September 1999

On the 24th Malaika met a wild elephant her size with whom she spent 1 hour. At noon another 7 wild elephants joined the orphans and remained with them until the evening.

25 September 1999

On the 25th Edo and Ndume were in tow when the orphans met a wild group behind the hill at 3.30 p.m. with whom they spent 3 hours. Imenti played with a calf his size until it was time to come back home.

26 September 1999

On the 26th the Orphans met 3 Bulls ,one the size of Olmeg and two the size of Malaika, with whom they were very friendly, and who came to the mudbath with them and remained with them all afternoon. Back at the Stockade Edo and Ndume were waiting.

27 September 1999

On the 27th Edo and Ndume were up the hill with Catherine's group and Malaika spent the day alone, meeting up with Edo, Ndume and a wild Bull back at the Stockade.

28 September 1999

On the 28th Ndume was with Malaika and went with her to the back of the hill where they met up with two other wild bulls who spent the rest of the day with them, including the mudbath.

29 September 1999

On the 29th Malaika's group met Catherine's group near Daniel's house and spent an hour with them. Our orphans then went up the hill where they met 2 wild elephants the size of Dika with whom they spent the next 5 hours. Later Catherine's group came back to the Stockades with Edo and Ndume and stayed for l hour.

30 September 1999

The 30th was uneventful and only Ndume turned up at the Stockade.