If you would like to see a list of the updates available please click here.

 Herculean effort to haul elephant to safety - 8/15/2018
View a Printable Version of this Update

For three days in mid-August, this adult male elephant lay trapped in thick mud, stuck in a drying water pan along the Kilenyeti River, on the northern boundary of the Chyulu Hills National Park. With rescue efforts impeded by the muddy terrain that surrounded him on all sides, preventing vehicles from getting close, it really was a case on all hands on deck to get him back on his feet.

The mammoth rescue operation spanned three days and involved The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, together with our local partners Big Life Foundation and the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS), as well as members of the local community, all of whom fought tirelessly to free him. Full grown and weighing upwards of five tons, this already tough operation to save the bull  - who became stuck late evening on 11 August - was made all the more difficult by the fact that the surrounding area was totally impenetrable to vehicles; there were only two safe passages in and out to the elephant. Land Rovers and even a JCB were no match for the treacle-like earth, becoming stuck fast as they sought to get close to the elephant; in the process of trying to rescue this beautiful bull even one of the lorries got stuck.

Elephant trapped in mud  Elephant bull trapped in the mud

Stuck and surely terrified, the elephant also posed a risk to rescuers that got too close on foot with one KWS ranger suffering a broken ankle during the rescue on 12th August, as he was caught by the elephant’s trunk as he aided efforts to free him. To ensure he received timely medical treatment, the DSWT helicopter medivacked him out and up to Nairobi’s Wilson Airport where an ambulance was waiting, before the unit returned to the scene to further support the rescue effort.

Ranger medivacked out by DSWT helicopter

In the end, it took many hands and varying equipment including a lifting crane and excavator to manoeuvre the elephant enough to get the Trust’s strappings (an invaluable piece of equipment when it comes to moving elephants used by the DSWT/KWS Veterinary Teams) in position. On day two of the rescue we used two lorries chained together to pull the elephant bull free, but he slid back into the mud that night when visited by a small herd. On the third day we used three land cruisers strapped together to pull him free again, rolling him over onto his side before trying to lift his head.

Vets pouring water on the bull to keep him cool  Thick mud is excavated to place strappings

Having spent days trapped in the mud without the ability to take food and only a little water through a hosepipe we put into his mouth, the elephant was too exhausted by his ordeal to stand and KWS Vet Dr. Kariuki, from the DSWT-funded KWS Amboseli Veterinary Unit, administered medications from the Trust including intravenous fluids to increase his strength. Several hours later, he slowly began to stir, before finally rising back to his feet on the evening of 14th August – some three days after rescue efforts began – and walking off into the bush. 

Thanks to the incredible resolve of all those involved to see this elephant saved, he was finally freed. His equally exhausted rescuers, sporting all manner of bruises, injuries and even broken bones, were delighted by the outcome and to know that their undaunted efforts paid off for this big boy who is free at last.

Elephant bull on his feet

Operations like this demonstrate the importance of collaborative efforts to save wildlife, and highlight the difficult terrain and conditions in which field teams, and compassionate community members, have to work to save wild lives. From hauling elephants out of thick mud to flying injured personnel to safety, we would like to express our sincere thanks to all involved and to our supporters whose contributions ensure we have the necessary equipment to attend to these difficult cases where a wild life is dependent on us.

Elephant back on his feet

Update: Heartbreakingly the elephant died a few days later due to complications to its digestive system. Despite this sad loss, we take comfort in knowing that, together with our local partners, we did all within our powers to try and save this magnificent elephant.


If you would like to see a list of the updates available please click here.

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy