Search By Keyword:

Print this Page - Sheldrick Wildlife TrustThe Orphan / Keyword you have Selected to view is ARRUBA
(Print this Page)

Total Daily Entries found: 296
Entries below from Page #2 of 60 : From  6 - 10 
(To search the Summary for an overview of the nursery orphans from each month click here)




This morning the stockade dependant orphan elephants were once again joined by the four Ex Orphans from Lempauteís herd for supplement feeding following their morning milk bottle. Dabassa and Layoni introduced the juniors to a game of playing on the red earth piles, and after Kihari and Kenia led the way to the browsing grounds. The two Ex Orphan boys followed the stockade dependant orphans towards the field but were left on the southern foot of Msinga Hill as the juniors proceeded to the northern side. Lempaute and Kivuko remained around stockade compound for two more hours enjoying the Lucerne grass.

Bada, Nelion and Mbirikani led the juniors halfway up the hill for the mornings browsing activities. Ndii grabbed a stick from Ishaq-Bís mouth wanting to feed on it but as it was dry she quickly dropped it to the ground.

At noon the orphans visited the baobab water hole for their milk and a mudbath after which the afternoon was spent browsing around the area. Mashariki, Mudanda and Arruba enjoyed leading the orphan group back to the stockade in the evening. Lempaute was at the stockade when the juniors arrived and followed them into their night quarters grabbing some grewia branches which she took outside so that she could feast on them.  

Nelion and Tundani early morning games

Lentili wallowing

Dabassa and Kihari dust bath games


This morning the four Ex Orphans arrived at the stockades a few minutes after the juniors had left for the browsing grounds. Under Bada, Nelion and Mbirikaniís leadership the orphans settled to browse on the western side of Msinga Hill. At noon the group made their way to the baobab waterhole where they enjoyed their milk bottles. Mbirikani stayed browsing a little longer than the rest, joining them about 10 minutes later.

In the afternoon the Voi keepers received a report of a male orphan elephant (Kavu) at Punda Mulia near Aruba. The name Kavu means severe drought in Swahili. This orphan elephant was very thin and dehydrated and seemed to have an infection which resulted in his skin peeling away. The orphan, another drought related victim aged about 4 years old, was brought to the stockade compound and put in a taming stable neighboring Tahri and Sola. The two made sure to come and greet Kavu, touching the new orphan and giving him some much needed reassurance which would help in settle down and be accepting of the keepers.

On their return to the stockades in the evening Suswa, Arruba and Mudanda rumbled a greeting to Tahri, Sola and Kavu from their night quarters.

Ndii sliding in the mud

Kenia watches over Araba

Kavu in the stockade after treatment


It was a cloudy and windy morning with dark clouds spattering the sky leaving us hopeful that we would soon be getting some rain.

Arruba, Suswa, Naipoki and Lentil led the other orphan elephants towards the browsing grounds where they fed in single file on the lower flat grounds of Msinga Hill before making their way to the baobab waterhole at noon. Following their milk bottle the orphan herd assembled around the water trough for a drink before going for a wallow.

Ndii was in a naughty mood again and climbed into the water trough, with her front legs swirling the water around turning the clean water dirty; Arruba, Mbirikani, Embu and Rorogoi decided against having a drink. Arruba went to scratch her bottom on the top of the water trough while waiting for the dirt to settle so that she and her friends could quench their thirst before the orphan herd continued with days browsing activities.

Layoni engaging Panda

Ndii reaches up to the higher branches

Arruba scratches on the water trough wall


It was a good beginning to the day as the stockade dependant orphan elephants ran out of their night pens, emptying a morning milk bottle before settling to feed on the supplements that had been put out for them by their keepers.

The stockade dependant orphan elephants browsed their way to the eastern side of Msinga Hill under the stewardship of Mbirikani and Nelion. They slowly made their way down hill arriving at the baobab water hole at noon where they enjoyed their afternoon milk bottle, range cubes and Lucerne grass.

Ndii had fun playing a wonderful game of sliding down from the walls of the mud bath into the waterhole then coming out of the water and doing the same thing over again. Arruba was rolling around in the water which seemed to make Mbirikani jealous and resulted in her chasing Arruba out of the wallow. While Nguvu was lying down at the dustbath Mashariki went over and sat on his stomach preventing him from further enjoying any dust bathing games. The rest of the afternoon was spent browsing close to the waterhole. 

Tundani and Ajali in deep communication

Lempaute scratching against a tree

Lentili and Naipoki


Last night Nguvu and Ajali seemed happy to be back in the fold and enjoyed feeding on the Lucerne grass and pellets which they had missed in their absence. The two were seen communicating with their friends relaying their adventures while living wild and what their time had been like among the wild herd.

Today Ishaq-B, Arruba, and Suswa seemed fixated on Nguvu and were seen following him around all day wanting to find out everything about his experience. The orphan herd were also interested in asking Nguvu and Ajali where Pasaka was as he did not return with them and was not among the wild herd whose company they were in.

Later in the morning a report of a female orphan elephant calf, about one and a half years old, in the Aruba area was reported to the Veterinary unit by a tour operator. The stockade rescue team was mobilized and found the calf lying on the ground in a state of collapse. The team was able to quickly and easily rescue her and put her on a drip. While they waited for the rescue plane to come from Nairobi they received a report of a second collapsed female orphan elephant calf close to the Satao water hole. This second calf aged about eight months old was rescued and brought to the Aruba airstrip from where the two were airlifted to the Nairobi Nursery.

Suswa wrestling with Dabassa

Naipoki playing on the red earth

Tundani at the water trough




Page Navigation:      | Previous Page |      | Next Page |    

Search By Keyword:

View Keeper's Diary By Month

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2017, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy