Search By Keyword:

Print this Page - Sheldrick Wildlife TrustThe Orphan / Keyword you have Selected to view is ITHUMBAH
(Print this Page)

Total Daily Entries found: 233
Entries below from Page #1 of 47 : From  1 - 5 
(To search the Summary for an overview of the nursery orphans from each month click here)




Yatta, Yoyo, Yetu, Kinna, Kama, Ithumbah, Makena, Ishanga, Sidai and Naserian who haven’t been seen for a month, showed up at the stockades after receiving news that Lualeni had a baby and wanted to congratulate her. After sharing lucerne pellets, Yatta continued their journey to look for Lualeni who had left the previous day for an undisclosed location. This dry season, we have seen the formation of new groups among the ex-orphans. Yatta has her own group now, Galana another one and there is a possibility for Lualeni, who for years has tried to form her own group but failed, to now start another one but only time will tell. Nasalot also has got her own group but it's not clear who the members are since Wendi, Wiva, Mwende and Mulika who used to be in Yatta’s group, have not also been seen for a month. No-one knows how long the formation of these new groups will hold; only time will tell. The orphans settled to browse at Kanziku area and the rest of the day was uneventful. 

Kama nursing from Kinna

Yoyo and Yatta

Pare playing with Tusuja


Kamok, Karisa, Rapa and Dupotto left their night stockade with branches in their mouths early in the morning. Twelve wild bulls were drinking water at the stockade water troughs when the orphans settled for their lucerne. Shortly later, a wild herd showed up followed by graduate orphans Kinna, her baby Kama, Sunyei, her baby Siku, Lenana, Chyulu, Ishanga, Kenze, Ithumbah and Mutara’s group. After feeding on lucerne, Kithaka walked down and briefly joined the bulls for water before returning to join his friends. Shortly afterwards, Kinna and her group escorted the juniors to the browsing field before parting ways.

Out in the bush, Rapa saw a tall tree that had green leaves and started salivating for the leaves. Rapa tried to find a way of how he could reach them. Just as Rapa was about to give up, he saw a rock close to a tree and he used this to reach the high leaves. Rapa plucked at the leaves happily, thanking the rock for being close to that tree.

At mud bath time, the orphans were joined by eight bulls who shared water and a mud bath with them without any problems. Namalok, who is very lively these days, was the star of the mud bath as he trumpeted and splashed water everywhere using his trunk, enjoying every moment in the water. Galla engaged Kanjoro in a strength testing exercise while Mundusi and Meto shared the same tree to scratch on. Olsekki and Siangiki remained behind with the wild bulls as they tried to drink as much water as they could, so that it would last them for the entire afternoon.


Siangiki with wild bulls

Namalok coming out of the mudbath


In the morning, Yatta, baby Yoyo, Sunyei, baby Siku, Galana, baby Gawa, Loijuk, Naserian, Lualeni, Ololoo, Wendi, baby Wiva, Mulika, Mwende, Yetu, Sidai, Makena, Ishanga, Ithumbah, Zurura and several wild elephants were at the stockade compound when the orphans were let out. Gawa, who is now one year and ten months, has tusks which are starting to show and she seems to be very happy about it as she tried to challenge Esampu and Mteto. Mwende tried to charge at the Keepers but was calmed down by Tusuja. He seemed to communicate to her that she should calm down as the guys she was charging at were good people who raised her mother. Later, Tusuja, Kauro and Rapa held a meeting under the only remaining acacia tree in the stockade compound. Their conclusion seemed to be that they should walk out to the forest, and shortly later that was what all three did.

The sky was clear with no clouds, which was an indication of a hot day a head. Tusuja wondered if Kauro, who hardly takes a bath, would feel like one if it turned into a hot day. Kauro wasn't bothered by Tusuja and kept himself busy feeding. Galla challenged Ololoo and when he lost the fight he ran to follow his friends who had already left the stockade.

Out in the bush, Sapalan, who never participates in any activity apart from soil dusting and mud bathing, found a suitable tree stump that he used to scratch his buttocks. Later, he relaxed under a tree and forgot that it was time to go to the mud bath. The Keepers came back and found him and led him to join his friends who had already started the walk to the mud bath. There the junior orphans were joined by a lone wild bull who shared water with them. Mutara and her group then showed up and joined the orphans to mud bath and soil dust. Garzi engaged Kanjoro in a strength testing exercise that lasted for quite some time and later joined Sirimon in soil dusting exercise. In the evening a wild herd consisting of twenty five wild elephants reported for water and left immediately after having enough.

Yatta and Wendi with the others

Sapalan scratching

Garzi playing with Kanjoro


The sky was crystal clear in the morning when the orphans were let out. Mutara, Suguta, Kainuk, Turkwel, Sities, Kanjoro and Kilaguni welcomed the juniors out and walked with them to the bush. Kanjoro as usual met with Garzi and they had a strength testing exercise that ended again in a draw. Kauro started his day's activities by performing a soil dusting exercise using his versatile trunk. Shortly later, his game attracted Suguta who joined him, and then forced him out from where he was performing the soil dusting exercise. Kauro wasn't pleased but he had no choice other than to respect his elders wish.

The orphans settled to browse and Kilaguni and Kanjoro visited a nearby dam and had an early wallowing session while engaging in strength testing exercise. The orphans were visited briefly by Yatta’s herd including baby Yoyo, Mulika, Mwende, Kinna, baby Kama, Galana, baby Gawa, Ithumbah, Loijuk, Makena, Lenana, Narok, Yetu, Lualeni, Kilabasi, Makireti, Zurura, Wendi, baby Wiva and Rapsu. After mud bath, the orphans headed to the lower kalovoto area where they settled to browse for the rest of the day. Mutara’s group parted ways with juniors and left.

In the evening, a few minutes to seven o'clock, Siangiki and Olsekki who had been missing for nine days, arrived in the company of Mutara’s group Orwa, Bomani, Vuria and Kilaguni. Though darkness was approaching, the wounds that were as a result of an attempted lion attack on Siangiki’s back and tail were now clearly visible. The two were bundled into the stockade to join their friends and application of green clay to the wounds was to commence the following day. Laragai’s group is almost complete; now we are just waiting for Boromoko to show up since he has joined the senior ex-orphans.

Mutara's group

Kauro soil dusting

Kanjoro and Kilaguni wallowing


Karisa and Sapalan led the way out in morning with Karisa carrying a branch in his mouth and enjoying it as he walked down to wait for the lucerne pellets. Laragai’s group, Makireti and Kilabasi, spent the night just outside the stockade, and joined the orphans for the pellets. Dupotto passed by Enkikwe's stockade to take him out but Enkikwe threatened to push her. Dupotto turned and left as Enkikwe followed her slowly. Siangiki shared her pile of pellets with Sokotei while Orwa refused to share with anybody, even Enkikwe when he tried to take a few pellets as he was passing. Orwa threw a side kick that almost landed on Enkikwe, but Enkikwe still insisted on taking a few pellets before limping away.

Out in the Park, the herd could afford to take a break from feeding to participate in various games given the amount of vegetation around at the moment. Orwa, Vuria, Bomani, Olsekki, Kamok, Namalok and Oltaiyoni enjoyed some rolling games, while Tusuja engaged Lemoyian in a pushing game after Lemoyian tried to ride on Tusuja's head. Later, Tusuja invited Bomani to a pushing game, which Bomani declined by walking away.

At mud bath time, the orphans were joined by Lualeni, Galana, baby Gawa, Naserian, Sunyei, baby Siku, Lenana, Bongo, Teleki, Yatta, baby Yoyo, Mulika, Mwende, Ithumbah and three wild elephants. An hour later, the groups parted ways. Later in the afternoon, we received a light shower of 10 mm. The showers put the orphans in a playing mood and they spent so much time rolling on the wet soil and smearing themselves with red mud.

Sokotei and Siangiki sharing

Orwa and Enkikwe

Kilabasi and Makireti

Lemoyian climbing on Tusuja




Page Navigation:         | Next Page |    

Search By Keyword:

View Keeper's Diary By Month

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy