Search By Keyword:

Print this Page - Sheldrick Wildlife TrustThe Orphan / Keyword you have Selected to view is KINNA
(Print this Page)

Total Daily Entries found: 846
Entries below from Page #1 of 170 : From  1 - 5 
(To search the Summary for an overview of the nursery orphans from each month click here)




It was a rainy morning today but Ex Orphans Ololoo and Kasigau visited the stockade early this morning and started play fighting. Just as the rain came to an end the orphans came out and joined the Ex Orphans.

Just after the dependent orphans left, Galana and her group with baby Gawa came to drink water and then left again.

It was still drizzling at noon so the orphans did not go in the mud bath after their milk. We did have a strength demonstration however through Olsekki and Boromoko who started play fighting, which then turned into a real fight. The keepers went to intervene when it appeared it was becoming more serious. Then Yatta, Kinna and their babies arrived at the mud bath from the other side. Baby Kama was playing and running here and there trying to charge at the keepers. Yatta and Kinna walked their babies off into the bush however and visited the stockade later on as well.

The orphans went on browsing while Garzi was busy rolling in the mud along the road. Later on, the orphans made their way back home in the evening for their milk. We recorded 8mm of rainfall today.


Sokotei plays whilst Naseku browses

Makena with Yoyo and Kama

Little Yoyo and Kama


Lemoyian and Boromoko were play fighting as the rest watched on this morning. Mutara’s herd visited and Mutara was playing in the compound before they headed back out to the Park. Garzi and Sities started play fighting and then all the orphans walked out to browse.

Tusuja scratched his neck on a tree while Shukuru was very active and playing in the mud. It was so interesting to see them playing and interacting with the Ex Orphans together. Later on, they made their way to the mud bath for their milk.

It was not very hot today and the orphans just had their noon milk bottle before going back out to browse without wallowing. They played for a short while in a small pool they came across, but they were most concerned with browsing and filling up their stomachs. Sirimon was chatting with Lemoyian after their browse. They started playing in the mud again before they made their way back home in the evening.

We were visited by Wendi, Kinna and Mulika with their babies Kama, Wiva and Mwende in the stockades today. They visited this evening, drank some water and left back to the bush.

Sunrise at Ithumba

Lemoiyan and Sirimon chat

Mutara stretching


Early this morning, Yatta’s group came in with Wendi, Kinna, Nasalot, Galana, Mulika and Sunyei with all their babies. Siku stuck to her mum Sunyei whilst Gawa and Kama were also next to their mums. The orphans drank their milk and didn't stay long with the Ex Orphans but walked out to the bush.

Galla was struggling to browse high in the trees in search of food. Olsekki was climbing on Tusuja while Galla and Boromoko enjoyed a play fight. Naseku started leading the group to mud bath with Tusuja. All the juniors walked in and started swimming, with Shukuru in the lead. After they came out and went back to browsing. We saw Lemoyian scratching his trunk on a tree.

Sirimon, Olsekki and Enkikwe were standing under some shade from the hot sun whilst the others browsed. It was very hot and all the orphans went to play in a small water hole in the bush. Shukuru was the most playful and Lemoyian was playing on the ground along the road. Karisa tried to a tree to ground level to reach the leaves to eat. Barsilinga was busy browsing from the tallest branches in the trees. Later the orphans walked back home in the evening for their milk.

Yatta and Kinna arrive with their babies

Boromoko playing with Galla

Karisa bending a tree to get to the leaves


Early in the morning two groups of Ex Orphans, Mutara’s and Narok’s, arrived. They waited for the orphans to have their milk and come out to join them. They all joined together and walked out to the bush. Shukuru was very busy finding some fresh food to eat. After awhile browsing Wendi's group came in with Sunyei with her baby Siku. They were heading to the mud bath and the orphans later joined them to walk there for their noon milk bottle.

At mud bath Rapsu arrived first and Wendi's group came in with Yatta, Yoyo and Yetu, Sunyei and Siku, Nasalot and Nusu, Kinna and Kama, Galana and Gawa, and finally Mulika and Mwende. It was a very big group with only two wild elephants among them. Challa and a wild bull were playing inside the mud bath. Sunyei washed her baby with water outside the mud bath. Rapsu was scratching against a tree. Later the Ex Orphans left whilst the juniors waited for the keepers to have lunch and join them in the bush. It was a very hot and dry afternoon and when the juniors came across a small pool of rain water they started to play and roll in it. They later started their journey back home in the evening.

Mutara's group visited us in the evening. They stayed in some time and later walked back out into the bush. It is still very dry and we are waiting for more rain.

Orwa scratching

Nasalot with Nusu

Nusu and Kama entwin trunks


It was a busy morning today as we had a large group of elephants and Ex Orphans visit the stockades with wild bulls amongst them. Yatta with Yetu and Yoyo, Nasalot with Nusu, Kinna with Kama, and Mulika with Mwende were amongst them. They joined orphans in the lucerne feeding area with the youngest wild-born babies, Kama, Yoyo and Nusu looking so active and healthy. There was also a wild mother there with her baby. The orphans later walked out to the Park to browse. It is still so dry and everyone concentrated on finding enough to eat; no one played any games and they all browsed up until it was time to go to the mud bath for milk.

Once there the orphans relaxed a bit and enjoyed some funs and games. The orphans played in the water with some wild bulls and later headed back out to the bush to browse again. Wild bulls and Ex Orphans stayed at the mud bath and Sunyei went to the water trough to drink water. Baby Siku fell inside but the trough was only a quarter full. Sunyei tried to pull her out but was unable, and the keepers had to go in and help her out with her mother’s support. She pulled from behind and helped us get her out. Nusu was being very clever and was playing along the edge of the mudbath with his mother, Nasalot, next to him. They later went to dust bath and Nusu started rolling around and playing as Olare, the nanny, looked on. They later walked away to the bush.

The orphans were very busy browsing in the afternoon to make sure they got enough to eat, despite the hot and dry weather. The group later walked back to the mud bath in the evening to cool off and then Kamok led the group back home in the evening.

Roi browsing

Baby Nusu rolling in the soil

Nasalot dusting herself

Siku gets into the water trough




Page Navigation:         | Next Page |    

Search By Keyword:

View Keeper's Diary By Month

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2017, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy