Search By Keyword:

Print this Page - Sheldrick Wildlife TrustThe Orphan / Keyword you have Selected to view is MULIKA
(Print this Page)

Total Daily Entries found: 879
Entries below from Page #1 of 176 : From  1 - 5 
(To search the Summary for an overview of the nursery orphans from each month click here)




The sky was crystal clear in the morning when the orphans were let out. Mutara, Suguta, Kainuk, Turkwel, Sities, Kanjoro and Kilaguni welcomed the juniors out and walked with them to the bush. Kanjoro as usual met with Garzi and they had a strength testing exercise that ended again in a draw. Kauro started his day's activities by performing a soil dusting exercise using his versatile trunk. Shortly later, his game attracted Suguta who joined him, and then forced him out from where he was performing the soil dusting exercise. Kauro wasn't pleased but he had no choice other than to respect his elders wish.

The orphans settled to browse and Kilaguni and Kanjoro visited a nearby dam and had an early wallowing session while engaging in strength testing exercise. The orphans were visited briefly by Yattaís herd including baby Yoyo, Mulika, Mwende, Kinna, baby Kama, Galana, baby Gawa, Ithumbah, Loijuk, Makena, Lenana, Narok, Yetu, Lualeni, Kilabasi, Makireti, Zurura, Wendi, baby Wiva and Rapsu. After mud bath, the orphans headed to the lower kalovoto area where they settled to browse for the rest of the day. Mutaraís group parted ways with juniors and left.

In the evening, a few minutes to seven o'clock, Siangiki and Olsekki who had been missing for nine days, arrived in the company of Mutaraís group Orwa, Bomani, Vuria and Kilaguni. Though darkness was approaching, the wounds that were as a result of an attempted lion attack on Siangikiís back and tail were now clearly visible. The two were bundled into the stockade to join their friends and application of green clay to the wounds was to commence the following day. Laragaiís group is almost complete; now we are just waiting for Boromoko to show up since he has joined the senior ex-orphans.

Mutara's group

Kauro soil dusting

Kanjoro and Kilaguni wallowing


The sky was clear when the orphans left the stockade. Karisa the street-wise boy took a few steps then stopped with his trunk up as if checking the whereabouts of Laragaiís group. Karisa could not understand why the two groups of Narok and Laragai have not shown up for two days now. We also did not know whether he had received any information from the search he conducted. At around seven o'clock in the morning, several ex-orphans including Nasalot, baby Nusu, Makena, Yatta, baby Yoyo, Kinna, baby Kama, Mulika, Mwende, Yetu and Makena briefly joined the juniors in Kone area where they had settled to browse. Naseku, who is fond of the young babies, spent some quality time with Kama, Nusu and Yoyo before they left with their group.

Shortly before mud bath time, Karisa sneaked off and disappeared without the keepers knowing. As they gathered the orphans to take them for their milk and mud bath, they realized that Karisa was missing. As they conducted their search, Karisa proved to the keepers how smart he was by showing up at mud bath while some of them were still toiling away in the bush looking for him. Karisa drank his milk and then walked to join his friends who had already gone back to the bush. Pare settled to browse with Roi and they settled down to eat and converse together. The rest of the day was quiet as the keepers kept a close eye on Karisa and Sapalan to make sure they didnít outsmart them again.

Maramoja and Pare browsing

Namalok and Maramoja

Naseku playing with baby Kama


Karisa and Sapalan led the way out in morning with Karisa carrying a branch in his mouth and enjoying it as he walked down to wait for the lucerne pellets. Laragaiís group, Makireti and Kilabasi, spent the night just outside the stockade, and joined the orphans for the pellets. Dupotto passed by Enkikwe's stockade to take him out but Enkikwe threatened to push her. Dupotto turned and left as Enkikwe followed her slowly. Siangiki shared her pile of pellets with Sokotei while Orwa refused to share with anybody, even Enkikwe when he tried to take a few pellets as he was passing. Orwa threw a side kick that almost landed on Enkikwe, but Enkikwe still insisted on taking a few pellets before limping away.

Out in the Park, the herd could afford to take a break from feeding to participate in various games given the amount of vegetation around at the moment. Orwa, Vuria, Bomani, Olsekki, Kamok, Namalok and Oltaiyoni enjoyed some rolling games, while Tusuja engaged Lemoyian in a pushing game after Lemoyian tried to ride on Tusuja's head. Later, Tusuja invited Bomani to a pushing game, which Bomani declined by walking away.

At mud bath time, the orphans were joined by Lualeni, Galana, baby Gawa, Naserian, Sunyei, baby Siku, Lenana, Bongo, Teleki, Yatta, baby Yoyo, Mulika, Mwende, Ithumbah and three wild elephants. An hour later, the groups parted ways. Later in the afternoon, we received a light shower of 10 mm. The showers put the orphans in a playing mood and they spent so much time rolling on the wet soil and smearing themselves with red mud.

Sokotei and Siangiki sharing

Orwa and Enkikwe

Kilabasi and Makireti

Lemoyian climbing on Tusuja


Galana, baby Gawa, Loijuk, Naserian, Lualeni, Lenana, Kilabasi, Sunyei, baby Siku, Makireti, Bongo, Kenze and Chyulu made a brief visit to the stockade early in the morning. When the dependent orphans were let out, Lualeni couldn't understand why one of the orphans had been left behind. She was curious and walked close to the fence to find out. She rumbled and Enkikwe responded and the two had a brief chat as Enkikwe probably explained to Lualeni why he had to stay behind. Lualeni had pity for the young boy and wished him a quick recovery, before slowly following her colleagues who by now had walked away to start their day.

Oltaiyoni had brief chat with baby Gawa before Naseku came in and invited Gawa for a pushing game. Gawa accepted and briefly had a light contest under the watchful eye of Lenana. Maramoja and Dupotto embraced the spirit of sharing and settled to feed on the same shrub, as Tusuja and Wanjala engaged each other in a light pushing game. Later in the day, Enkikwe was visited by Yatta, Kinna, Nasalot, Mulika, Makena, Yetu, Mwende, Nusu, Yoyo and Kama. Makena, who was one of the elephants that rescued Enkikwe, had a brief chat with him, perhaps trying to find out how he is doing now. Wendi stood by listening and watching as well. We think it will take at least another six months for Enkikwe to be able to join his friends out in the wild. Makena and her herd left when they were satisfied Enkikwe was okay.

Lualeni wondering why Enkikwe stayed behind

Gawa playing with Naseku

Enkikwe chatting to the ex-orphans


A big group of Ex Orphans came today to share lucerne with the orphans. They know the time and came in as early as possible. The orphans had their share of milk and later joined them with the keepers distributing lucerne to everyone. Barsilinga was very clever and was carrying his share on his back to have it later. Boromoko accompanied the dependent orphans to the bush and stayed with them the whole day.

Galla was very playful at mud bath today again. He actively played in the new mud bath and started rolling as he scratch his belly, head and bottom on the tree there. Six wild bulls also came to drink water but there werenít any other Ex Orphans apart from Boromoko.

Back in the bush Sapalan browsed on his own as usual and didnít socialize with the others. The others browsed and later walked towards the small water hole beside the dirt road to play in the water and cool down before heading home.

Wendi's herd came to have some water in the stockade today and say hi to the keepers as we had not seen them for the last few days. Kinna, Nasalot, Sunyei, Galana, Yatta and Mulika with all their babies were with Wendi. They stayed for a long time under the shade in the stockade. Narok also came with only Bomani and Vuria. Enkikwe is still on medication. Kithaka and Laragai today did not return for the night as they fear being locked in, but all others in her group came and were locked in.

Ex Orphans feeding on lucerne

Barsilinga walking away

Wild bulls at mud bath

Kinna and Kama




Page Navigation:         | Next Page |    

Search By Keyword:

View Keeper's Diary By Month

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy