Search By Keyword:

Print this Page - Sheldrick Wildlife TrustThe Orphan / Keyword you have Selected to view is WENDI
(Print this Page)

Total Daily Entries found: 914
Entries below from Page #1 of 183 : From  1 - 5 
(To search the Summary for an overview of the nursery orphans from each month click here)




The sky was crystal clear in the morning when the orphans were let out. Mutara, Suguta, Kainuk, Turkwel, Sities, Kanjoro and Kilaguni welcomed the juniors out and walked with them to the bush. Kanjoro as usual met with Garzi and they had a strength testing exercise that ended again in a draw. Kauro started his day's activities by performing a soil dusting exercise using his versatile trunk. Shortly later, his game attracted Suguta who joined him, and then forced him out from where he was performing the soil dusting exercise. Kauro wasn't pleased but he had no choice other than to respect his elders wish.

The orphans settled to browse and Kilaguni and Kanjoro visited a nearby dam and had an early wallowing session while engaging in strength testing exercise. The orphans were visited briefly by Yatta’s herd including baby Yoyo, Mulika, Mwende, Kinna, baby Kama, Galana, baby Gawa, Ithumbah, Loijuk, Makena, Lenana, Narok, Yetu, Lualeni, Kilabasi, Makireti, Zurura, Wendi, baby Wiva and Rapsu. After mud bath, the orphans headed to the lower kalovoto area where they settled to browse for the rest of the day. Mutara’s group parted ways with juniors and left.

In the evening, a few minutes to seven o'clock, Siangiki and Olsekki who had been missing for nine days, arrived in the company of Mutara’s group Orwa, Bomani, Vuria and Kilaguni. Though darkness was approaching, the wounds that were as a result of an attempted lion attack on Siangiki’s back and tail were now clearly visible. The two were bundled into the stockade to join their friends and application of green clay to the wounds was to commence the following day. Laragai’s group is almost complete; now we are just waiting for Boromoko to show up since he has joined the senior ex-orphans.

Mutara's group

Kauro soil dusting

Kanjoro and Kilaguni wallowing


It was a quiet morning as the orphans came out of their rooms and went to the lucerne feeding area. They didn’t stay there long as they didn’t feel like lucerne today, and they decided to walk straight out to the bush to begin browsing. There they met with Yatta’s group who came with two wild bulls among them. They soon walked off leaving the orphans behind. Later on, Laragai’s group came in and joined them. They seemed apprehensive about something and they wanted to stay together with the dependent orphans. The orphans walk on to have their milk at midday and then they walked back out to browse without swimming in the water hole. The DSWT/KWS anti-poaching team saw two lionesses around and we suspect they are the ones who made the ex-orphans scared of being on their own in the area.

A keeper who remained at the stockade saw Siangiki arrive at the water troughs with Zurura. He went closer and saw that she had an injury to her tail he believed to be inflicted by lions; he could see some claw marks. She seemed to be okay otherwise though and was happy to be in the company of older ex-orphans. We clearly need to keep an eye on all the orphans whilst these aggressive lions are around.

In the afternoon, Kauro was standing on top of a rock watching where their older friends were and using his trunk to smell them. The others were very busy browsing. Galla was using his trunk to smell in the air as well and we wondered if he was also searching for their older friends or perhaps the big lions. Laragai’s group stayed with the orphans right up to the last minute in the evening, when the dependent orphans walked back home for their evening milk.

In the stockade compound this evening Wendi, Galana and Sunyei in a large group of ex-orphans and their babies Wiva, Gawa and Siku came to visit. They had also two wild bulls amongst them. They came to drink water and walked away. Enkikwe is still having for his leg but is improving very well.

Yatta's group with wild bulls

Zurura with Siangiki

Naseku drinking water from the rocks

Kauro on the rocks searching for his friends


Narok and Laragai’s groups joined the juniors for lucerne pellets in the morning. It appears Mutara’s group who has been around for a few days now, have taken a break of interacting with the juniors since they didn't show up this morning. Enkikwe, still limping, walked down to interact with his friends before they left for a day of browsing. Tusuja, Barsilinga and Sokotei sympathized with Enkikwe for what befell him on the fateful day in February. The trio stretched their trunks and gently felt the wound and later Tusuja placed his trunk on Enkikwe's back for comfort. Later, the group left to go out and browse, leaving Enkikwe feeding close to the stockade compound.

Later the juniors were joined by Makireti and Kilabasi. Kithaka settled to browse with Kauro while Barsilinga teamed up with Kilabasi. Tusuja engaged Sokotei in a strength testing exercise before he surrendered to resume browsing. Sokotei then had a lone game of rolling on the ground and soil dusting before also going back to browse. At around ten o'clock in the morning, the orphans passed by Kone dam where they all drank water and a few splashed water on themselves to cool-off before heading for their midday milk feeds. Pare teamed up with Karisa and took a break from feeding to relax under a tree. Later, the two resumed browsing after they had enough rest.

In the afternoon, the Ex Orphans comprised of Mama Wendi, baby Wiva, Meibai, Loijuk, Kenze, Chyulu, Zurura, Ishanga and Sidai paid a brief visit to Enkikwe. The herd surrounded Enkikwe and extended their trunks towards him. We are sure they wished him a quick recovery and consoled him, before walking off into the Park again.

Tusuja comforting Enkikwe

Sokotei browsing

Barsilinga and Kilabasi

Orphans at Kone dam


Galana, baby Gawa, Loijuk, Naserian, Lualeni, Lenana, Kilabasi, Sunyei, baby Siku, Makireti, Bongo, Kenze and Chyulu made a brief visit to the stockade early in the morning. When the dependent orphans were let out, Lualeni couldn't understand why one of the orphans had been left behind. She was curious and walked close to the fence to find out. She rumbled and Enkikwe responded and the two had a brief chat as Enkikwe probably explained to Lualeni why he had to stay behind. Lualeni had pity for the young boy and wished him a quick recovery, before slowly following her colleagues who by now had walked away to start their day.

Oltaiyoni had brief chat with baby Gawa before Naseku came in and invited Gawa for a pushing game. Gawa accepted and briefly had a light contest under the watchful eye of Lenana. Maramoja and Dupotto embraced the spirit of sharing and settled to feed on the same shrub, as Tusuja and Wanjala engaged each other in a light pushing game. Later in the day, Enkikwe was visited by Yatta, Kinna, Nasalot, Mulika, Makena, Yetu, Mwende, Nusu, Yoyo and Kama. Makena, who was one of the elephants that rescued Enkikwe, had a brief chat with him, perhaps trying to find out how he is doing now. Wendi stood by listening and watching as well. We think it will take at least another six months for Enkikwe to be able to join his friends out in the wild. Makena and her herd left when they were satisfied Enkikwe was okay.

Lualeni wondering why Enkikwe stayed behind

Gawa playing with Naseku

Enkikwe chatting to the ex-orphans


A big group of Ex Orphans came today to share lucerne with the orphans. They know the time and came in as early as possible. The orphans had their share of milk and later joined them with the keepers distributing lucerne to everyone. Barsilinga was very clever and was carrying his share on his back to have it later. Boromoko accompanied the dependent orphans to the bush and stayed with them the whole day.

Galla was very playful at mud bath today again. He actively played in the new mud bath and started rolling as he scratch his belly, head and bottom on the tree there. Six wild bulls also came to drink water but there weren’t any other Ex Orphans apart from Boromoko.

Back in the bush Sapalan browsed on his own as usual and didn’t socialize with the others. The others browsed and later walked towards the small water hole beside the dirt road to play in the water and cool down before heading home.

Wendi's herd came to have some water in the stockade today and say hi to the keepers as we had not seen them for the last few days. Kinna, Nasalot, Sunyei, Galana, Yatta and Mulika with all their babies were with Wendi. They stayed for a long time under the shade in the stockade. Narok also came with only Bomani and Vuria. Enkikwe is still on medication. Kithaka and Laragai today did not return for the night as they fear being locked in, but all others in her group came and were locked in.

Ex Orphans feeding on lucerne

Barsilinga walking away

Wild bulls at mud bath

Kinna and Kama




Page Navigation:         | Next Page |    

Search By Keyword:

View Keeper's Diary By Month

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy