The following is information on the Elephant Orphan named: ISHAQ-B  (foster now)

Name Gender Date Born Location Found Age on Arrival Comments Reason for being Orphaned
 ISHAQ-B  Female  Sunday, October 10, 2010 Ndera Conservancy  One year  The calf had been on its own for three weeks before being rescued  Reason Unknown 

Latest Updates on ISHAQ-B:

View to Location map for ISHAQ-B (opens a new window)

Most Recent Keeper's Diary Entry: (view all the latest entries for ISHAQ-B)

8/22/2018 - The day began with the younger orphans downing their morning milk bottles in a rush to catch up with their older friends who were already enjoying the supplement food. The dry weather has already started to hit the Tsavo area and the orphans were in a rush to get out to begin the days browsing activities.

The orphans visited the baobab tree water hole where they had milk and water before enjoying mudbathing games. Nelion engaged Ndotto in a strength testing game which lasted a few minutes. Murit approached the two but was not invited to join and instead just watched. The orphans browsed their way to the Mzima-Mombasa pipeline area.

At 3pm Arruba, Suswa and Ishaq-B led the orphan herd to the water hole for a second mud bath.
Naipoki enjoyed swimming and bathing as it was a warm day. The rest of the afternoon was spent browsing close to the waterhole.

The Two Latest Photos of ISHAQ-B: (view gallery of pictures for ISHAQ-B)

 Tano gives the new calf special attention She joins the orphans the next day
Tano gives the new calf special attention
photo taken on 10/31/2011
She joins the orphans the next day
photo taken on 10/31/2011


The rescue of this yearling calf from the Ijara District of the Tana River proved to be one of the most challenging our team has ever undertaken. The calf, a female, which had a hugely swollen back leg at the knee joint, had been spotted by a Kenya Police Reservist three weeks previously, who reported to the Ndera Conservation and Ishaqbini Conservation Management authorities. For 21 days he had been monitoring the calf with the help of conservancy rangers as they tried to find the mother, dead or alive. Having failed in this it was decided to contact the Community Development Manager of the Northern Rangelands Trust who got in touch with KWS on the 29th October, who then alerted The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust that a Rescue was needed.

Departing for the rescue  View from the air

Adan  Boskies pilot Jamie who was part of the rescue team

It was reported that the community were weary of capturing the calf themselves and so the Conservancy vehicle waited at the Masalani airstrip for the Rescue plane and our A Team (Abdi, Adan and Sammy) to arrive, accompanied by Tal Manor who went along to film the rescue. Conservancy Scouts had been diligently watching over the calf to ensure she was not lost, nor came to any harm, as the Pokomo people who cultivate along the Tana River do like their bushmeat. This rescue proved to be one of the most challenging of all time. Due to the torrential rains the previous day and the combination of black cotton soil the vehicle very quickly became hopelessly bogged in the mud. This delayed the rescue so much so that the aircraft and Tal Manor returned to Nairobi when it became clear that there was no way they would get to the calf before nightfall. Our Keepers, determined to rescue the calf, opted to remain behind, and eventually due to a Herculean effort from all concerned they managed to extract themselves late in the evening. After a couple of hours drive they found shelter for the night thanks to Yussuf Aden, the Manager of the Ishaqbini Conservancy.

  Yussef Aden, Ishaqbini Conservancy Manager

Some of the challenges facing the rescue team  Well and truely stuck

They kept up their spirits throughout  Hours were spent trying to extract themselves from the mud

Our relieved keepers having helped get the vehicle out of the mud  Abdi - muddied

Early next morning everyone was up at dawn in an effort to complete the rescue. The rescue kit was loaded into the back of a tractor and the journey began at 6:00am. The road to Ndera from Kotile where they spent the night was even more flooded than the one traveled the previous day. The team reached the banks of the Tana River, furtile with an abundance of Mango and banana trees. Here the Keepers met up with eight more Kenya Police Reservists and Abdi our Keeper was able to brief everyone how best to assist with the elephant capture. With the dense vegetation conditions were tough, with only fleeting glimpses of the calf before she was once again lost. The team set off on foot combing the bushes. Eventually she was spotted and our Keepers rushed in to restrain her, she was allot smaller than anticipated. After capture she was prepared for the long journey back to the airstrip which took over 5 hours in the blazing heat, and flooded conditions so many people did so much and worked so hard to ensure this calf was brought to safety.

It was decided a tractor was the only way to go  The Tana River

On foot searching for the calf  Adan restrains the calf

Walking the calf out of the undergrowth  The calf is walked out of the undergrowth to where the tractor waited

We called her ISHAQ - B  Conditions made this rescue extremely difficult

En route to Masalani airstrip the rescue team were met by Mr. Kiio, the Kenya Wildlife Service Ijara District Warden, and traveled in convoy for the rest of the way to ensure that they did not have a repeat of the previous day.

She is held while her legs are strapped  She is lifted onto the tractor

Placed onto the tractor's trailer  Mr. Kiio, Senior Warden Ijara District

The villages in this area  The conditions the tractor, keepers and calf had to drive through in order to get to the headquarters and airstrip to fly the calf out to Nairobi

The state of the roads

Eventually after two grueling days the team arrived back at the airstrip. Meanwhile, the Rescue plane from Nairobi returned, bringing with it fresh milk and rehydration plus crates of sodas for those that had helped towards saving this baby. Amazingly, having subsisted on mangoes and wild fruit, she was not life- threateningly malnourished even though she had been without her mother for 3 weeks. She still had strength, but was unable to put weight on the damaged leg which was hugely swollen at the knee joint, with a small puncture on the inside of the joint. Having taken both milk and rehydrant she was airlifted from Masalani Airstrip arriving back at the Nairobi Nursery at 3:30 p.m. where she took yet more milk and water, and was ushered into the Stockade next door to Maxwell. She is an extremely lucky baby, with so many people going to extraordinary lengths in order to help rescue and save her life. A special thanks must be given to all those who have shown such compassion and perseverance, because given the conditions with heavy flooding it would have been easy to give up.

The calf was untied, stood up, and fed before the flight to Nairobi  The calf being fed before the flight

Before the flight home, she is fed on the airstrip  Before the flight on the Masalani airstrip she is given time to stretch her legs

Ishaq- B's swollen knee  The second rescue plane arriving today 30th October at the Masilani airstrip

We called the calf Ishaq B after the area and the men that had contributed so much to her survival and eventual rescue. She is a remarkable baby, as despite being encumbered by her swollen back knee, that seems to be improving with each passing day, she is unbelievably tough, surviving one of the most grueling rescues ever, but also 3 weeks without Mum. This is the baffling bit, because a milk dependent calf her age would normally be dead after three weeks without milk. We think it was because she was living off mangos dropped to the ground by the marauding baboons in the area that she lasted as long as she did. They provided her with the company she needed as well, as it was reported to us that she spent time with the baboon troop.

The following day she joined the Nursery orphans and was overwhelmed to experience all the attention and an instant elephant family once more. As a result she immersed herself into Nursery life, and in no time began playing in the mudbath with the others. She had had such a long time on her own, mourning the loss of her family, that to be rescued and reunited with elephants came as such a huge relief that she has embraced it from day one. She is extremely pampered with all the other orphans, with the exception of a jealous Kainuk, showering her with love.

She joins the orphans the next day  Tano gives the new calf special attention

The team tell the dramatic story of Ishaq-B's rescue

A special mention must be made to the Keepers, Abdi, Adan and Sammy, who did so much and worked so hard in order to save Ishaq-B. Their efforts on this rescue were nothing short of heroic.

The Heros, Adan  Another Hero - Sammy



Please see the resources above for more information on ISHAQ-B

| View the Orphan History List Foster ISHAQ-B | Print this Profile |

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy