The following is information on the Elephant Orphan named: NASERIAN  (foster now)

Name Gender Date Born Location Found Age on Arrival Comments Reason for being Orphaned
 NASERIAN  Female  January 2004 Samburu National Reserve  6 Months  Thought to have been swept away from family by a flood in Samburu  Natural Causes 

Latest Updates on NASERIAN:

View to Location map for NASERIAN (opens a new window)

Most Recent Keeper's Diary Entry: (view all the latest entries for NASERIAN)

2/4/2018 - For several days now, the weather has been chilly in the morning hours. This is unusual as the month of February is considered a very hot month where the sun shines from morning to evening. Sunyei, Siku, Naserian, Lenana, Chyulu, Narok’s group and Olare’s group joined the juniors soon when they were let out. Baby Siku had fun with Siangiki, Laragai and Maramoja but when she came to play Kauro, things changed. Kauro doesn't entertain the games of these babies and pushed little Siku away as he wanted to be left alone to eat enough lucerne since he doesn't have the fingers at the end of his trunk after they were mauled by a predator before his rescue. This makes him work extra hard to eat as much as his friends! Tusuja and Galla, who for several days now have been trying to establish who amongst themselves is the dominant boy, had a pushing game for some time before Orwa intervened by separating the two. After lucerne feeding time was over, Kamok took her dependent group to Kone area while Laragai and her group joined the Ex Orphans. Ukame also tried to run away with them but after a second thought, decided to go back to the dependent orphan group. Ukame felt that by escaping, it will mean going without her share of milk and to her this was unacceptable and she couldn't imagine going without it. Galla took time off from feeding to scratch his buttocks against a rock while Roi and Oltaiyoni held a private meeting a distance away from rest of the group. Oltaiyoni and Roi came down to Ithumba in the company of Kamok in December of 2016 and they consider themselves as grown up girls. Later at mud bath time, Dupotto led the first group as Maramoja led the second group. The weather was still chilly and the orphans only had water after having their milk and shortly afterwards left for browsing.

The Two Latest Photos of NASERIAN: (view gallery of pictures for NASERIAN)

 Naserian on arrival at the  DSWT nursery Naserian climbs on Jipe
Naserian on arrival at the DSWT nursery
photo taken on 12/5/2004
Naserian climbs on Jipe
photo taken on 11/5/2004


12TH May 2004, in the late afternoon, we received a message from Save the Elephants in Samburu National Reserve alerting us to the fact that what was obviously an orphaned elephant calf had been seen trailing the wild herds, and suffering continuous rejection by them. The calf was estimated to be between 4 and 6 months old and, we were told, was in the process of being captured. It had been seen trying to cross the Uaso Nyiro river along with wild elephants, but was constantly pushed under water by one herd member, which is very un-elephant-like behaviour towards a needy baby!

Naserian on Pick  Naserian be loaded into the plane

There have been reports of recent poaching around Samburu – some seven or eight elephants apparently killed. However, the theory held by Save the Elephant personnel is that the calf could have been separated from its mother and herd by being swept downstream by floodwaters, so the true circumstances of it becoming an orphan must remain unclear. There was just enough daylight time left on the 12th May to be able to bring the calf back to the Nairobi Nursery that evening, so a plane was hurriedly scrambled, this time a Caravan chartered from Boskovic Air Charters. It carried three Keepers, Edwin, Dismis and Pius, all the usual rescue paraphernalia - the circular tarpaulin with rope handles all round, milk and rehydration in a crate of beer bottles, a KWS Vet named Isaac and everything needed for sedation, plus a BBC Natural History Film crew currently here to start the shooting of “Elephant Diaries”, a series modelled on the highly successful “Big Cat Diary”. This will entail l year of filming all our orphans in the 3 different locations – the Nairobi Nursery plus the moving of six of the older Nursery group to join Emily’s herd in Voi, as well as the translocation of 12 of Emily’s group to the newly established Northern Area Ithumba base, where Imenti is now based, big events scheduled to take place in June.

Naserian in plane  Naserian in Pick up in samburu

When the rescue plane landed in Samburu, the calf had not yet been able to be captured and was still trailing wild herds, of which there were many in the area. Furthermore, another BBC Film crew had been filming the rejection of this orphan by the wild elephants, (something that puzzles us about the Samburu elephants since those of Tsavo seem bent on actually hijacking rather than rejecting calves, as is illustrated by the story of orphan “Irima”! ) Following frantic phone negotiations with the Charter Company, it was agreed that the plane and the Rescue Team could overnight in Samburu as best they could, and now that a Vet was in situ, an attempt would be made to capture the calf during the night. It was feared that were it left overnight, it may not survive the hyaenas.

The actual rescue was dramatic and traumatic. There was much confusion with vehicles and blazing headlamps trying to focus on the target, people rushing hither and thither, and excited elephants dashing about in the dark, with much trumpeting and screaming. A huge bull appeared out of the shadows in response to the distressed bellows of the calf as it was being overpowered and loaded into the back of the truck, which just managed to make a get-away in time. However, the KWS Vet and our team were, apparently, very professional and the sedated calf was spirited away to safety.

The calf was a female, roughly 6 months of age, and still strong. She was incarcerated in a small office overnight, with our three Keepers. She took rehydration salts and milk, and was given Arnica for stress, but it was a far from comfortable night for the Keepers, who were buffeted around and got no sleep at all. They thought the calf had been without a mother for about a week, since the cheekbone beneath the eye was beginning to become prominent through loss of condition.

Those of us back at base likewise spent a restless night, wondering how things were going in far-away Samburu National Reserve. First thing in the morning, the news came that they had the calf, and the plane would be arriving at Wilson Airport in Nairobi at 8.15 a.m. Unsure about the actual size of the new arrival, both a Stockade, and a Stable were prepared, and at 9 a.m. the vehicle carrying the sedated calf drew in. Lying on the rescue tarpaulin she was already coming round, and we decided to put her in Tomboi’s night stable, which is next door to that of Wendi. Traumatised and still “wild”, it took two Keepers all their time to try and restrain the baby, who was trying to climb out and break out, but she took more milk and water, and gradually Keeper Julius and Stephen worked their magic. Having consulted our Samburu Keepers, it was decided that the calf be called “Naserian”, which is a girl child’s name in Samburu, meaning “the lucky one”.

Naserians 2nd drink in stockade  Naserian joins the other orphans the day after

After the noon mudbath, the other Nursery elephants came to meet her, extending their trunks through the separating partition of the next door stable. She was overjoyed to see them, and they her. Selengai and Wendi were especially attentive, and following this introduction, little Naserian, who is slightly taller than Sunyei, visibly settled down, and having been given homeopathic remedies for trauma and stress, slept fitfully. Amazingly, by nightfall this totally wild elephant was sucking the fingers of her Keepers, taking milk eagerly from a bottle, and even enjoying the company of her human Attendants, much to the amazement of the film crew. That night she slept soundly, with her little trunk reaching through the separation to touch Wendi next door. And, first thing in the morning, she was out and about with the others, all documented for “Elephant Diaries” – truly the same mini miracle we have witnessed many times before with orphans who have had the input of other elephants! Any bystander would not have been able to tell which elephant was the newcomer who had arrived just a day ago. Napasha was particularly caring of her, comforting her, touching her gently, and making sure that she felt loved. Ndomot didn’t want to share Wendi with the stranger, and tried to block Wendi whenever she tried to get near the new calf. Sunyei took over, and little Naserian was taken into the mini Nursery herd, taking the cue from them, even hurrying to the noon mudbath, where she enjoyed a mudwallow and then joined the others in greeting the visitors.

Tomboi, is the one who had to give up his stable to the newcomer, and join Taita and Olmalo in one of the Rhino Stockade that they share. To begin with, he thought this was a novel idea, but the next night he complained loudly, but will soon settle in.

The arrival of little Naserian brings the number of baby elephants in our Nursery to l0, which makes for a pretty full house. The most we have ever been called upon to accommodate at any one time has been 12!

Naserian promises to be a special elephant and we are glad to be able to offer her another chance of life, and the special care that all 55 of our rescued elephant orphans enjoy, given the same tender loving care by their Keepers that their own elephant family would have given them, until such time as they are comfortable with the wild herds and ready to take their place where they rightly belong, back with their own kind, in a large Protected Park where they will enjoy freedom and the quality of life that is their birthright.

Please see the resources above for more information on NASERIAN

| View the Orphan History List Foster NASERIAN | Print this Profile |

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2017, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy