The following is information on the Elephant Orphan named: NDIWA  (foster now)

Name Gender Date Born Location Found Age on Arrival Comments Reason for being Orphaned
 NDIWA  Female  Friday, November 20, 2015 Found in the Irima area of Tsavo East National Park  Approximately 16 months  Was seen on her own with no other elephants in the area  Drought Related 

Latest Updates on NDIWA:

View to Location map for NDIWA (opens a new window)

Most Recent Keeper's Diary Entry: (view all the latest entries for NDIWA)

12/31/2018 - The year is coming to a close, and Maramoja led the way out followed by Mteto and Esampu. The orphans briefly passed by the water trough for water before Naseku led the way out to the bush. Kithaka, Barsilinga and Garzi followed their friends at a distance simply because they didn't want to be controlled by the Keepers. Sapalan, who we are happy to see is very active these days, teamed up with Galla to feed while Malkia settled to browse with Sana Sana. Enkikwe, who is still limping, had a lengthy chat with Lemoyian. These two boys are very lucky to have survived their lion attacks.

On the way to the mud bath, Mundusi threatened Ndiwa not to overtake him. Ndiwa decided not to overtake and waited for the right time when Mundusi was distracted by a dik dik, then she made her move. At mud bath time, Wanjala and Tusuja had fun rolling on each other as Sapalan led the way in wallowing. After mud bathing, Esampu had fun of crawling along the edge of the mud bath on his front legs while Roi, Tusuja, Naseku and Olsekki settled for soil dusting. Later, Tusuja engaged Olsekki in a strength testing exercise but when the going got tough, Tusuja decided to quit. In the evening Kithaka, Barsilinga and Garzi refused to go back to the stockade with the others but returned an hour later after the orphans had settled at the stockade for the night.

The Two Latest Photos of NDIWA: (view gallery of pictures for NDIWA)

 Jotto, Ukame, Ndiwa and Malima Ndiwa out with the others
Jotto, Ukame, Ndiwa and Malima
photo taken on 5/23/2017
Ndiwa out with the others
photo taken on 5/23/2017


On the 21st of March 2017 a female elephant of approximately 16 months old was first spotted by one of the Trust’s pilots while on a routine patrol over the southern sector of Tsavo East National Park. She was sighted in the Irima area.

Having circled around her a number of times and scoured the area for any elephant herds, Neville Sheldrick continued with his patrol, but took precautions to ensure that the DSWT Burra Anti Poaching Team accompanied by KWS rangers and some of our Voi Keepers moved into the area to further monitor her from a distance. They observed her for some time, and combed the area for signs of her herd, but judging by her desperate condition, and the lack of any elephants in the area is was clear that she was in grave trouble. Once they were satisfied she was definitely an orphan and, in consultation with KWS, a rescue was mobilized. Capturing the calf proved a serious challenge as the young baby was extremely frightened and took off for two kilometers before the men managed to surround, catch and restrain her. She appeared very thirsty and extremely dehydrated, and it was obvious she had been without Mum for quite some time, so the first thing the team did was give her the much needed hydration she required.

The captured calf is prepared for transport  Carrying the calf to the rescue vehicle

Loading the calf into the vehicle  The orphan arrives at the airstrip

  Offloading the orphan from the rescue vehicle

  Securing the orphan before loading onto the plane

Loaded into the plane

Another team of Keepers from Nairobi were mobilized to fly to Tsavo so that this calf could be airlifted to the DSWT Nursery where she could have the intensive care she required to survive. They landed at Voi, the most convenient airstrip, but on arrival the temperatures were extreme, 40 degrees on the airstrip. It was imperative that the teams worked quickly and efficiently preparing the baby for the flight, wasting no time, because of her vulnerable state.


Offloading at Wilson  In the pickup on arrival at Wilson

Arriving at the Nursery  The orphan is placed in the stocakde

Undoing the restraining straps  The orphan on her feet soon after arrival

She was handed over into the capable hands of our Nairobi Keepers and flown the 1 ˝ hour flight to Nairobi and arrived in the evening, weak and agitated. It took a while for her to get used to her new surroundings or to take her milk bottle from a Keeper, as initially she would take milk from a bucket, but refused to venture close to the gate where her Keeper stood with a milk bottle in hand. Her stockade was filled with fresh cut greens, and this provided a welcome change from the parched Tsavo landscape that she had been used to, so she immediately fed well on the greens that were prepared for her daily. We estimated her age to be around the one year mark, with vegetation necessary in her diet, but still very much milk dependent in order to survive.

Eating greens  Ndiwa is greeted by Rapa

Lasayen with Ndiwa  Malkia, Ndiwa and Godoma

Ndiwa out a few days after arrival  Ndiwa

In the days that followed, the company of the other orphans who filled the surrounding stockades in the evenings gave her confidence, and their communication certainly helped settle her down quicker than usual. During the day when she was left alone in the company of her Keeper we made a lovely red earth dust bath for her to enjoy, and brought in mud mixed in a wheelbarrow for the hot days so that she could douse herself with the cool soothing mixture. She remained in her stockade for nearly a week before we felt she was calm enough to join the others out in the forest, as it was not long before she got a taste for the milk and became bold enough to rush to the stockade door to snatch at a bottle held by a Keeper.

Jotto, Ukame, Ndiwa and Malima  Ndiwa out with the others

Ndiwa browsing  Ndiwa in the bushes

Ndiwa and Wanjala  Ndiwa out and about

We named her Ndiwa, meaning ‘orphan’ in the Wkamba tribe’s language, and Ndiwa grew stronger with each day, and by the time she was let out into the forest, she was familiar with the other orphans, and content to stay close to them, however from time to time she would wander away and disappear into the forest, prompting a search from the Keepers. This happened for the first two days she was let out, causing quite a disruption to the Nursery daily proceedings, but thankfully after a few days out she became familiar with her routine and was totally hooked on her milk bottle so settled down fast. She is a wonderfully gentle female, and it is such a relief to have found this lucky little girl in time, before she became a victim to the Tsavo lions, or thirst.

Sweet Ndiwa  Ndiwa

Ndiwa having milk


Please see the resources above for more information on NDIWA

| View the Orphan History List Foster NDIWA | Print this Profile |

Share this:
Follow us:

The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust   P.O. Box 15555 Nairobi Kenya

Copyright © 1999-2018, The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy